Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

How you discovered the Doom series? / Your first time playing Doom?

I don't think anyone owns Doom 2016 yet.

My dad sat me on his lap when I was 3 and he let me press the shoot and open doors buttons while he did the movement. Best moments of my life and now they're just mere memories.

Damn that got depressing towards the end

Voros said:

I was born in 2000... Weird to be a Doomer huh?

I discovered it six years before you were born ;) for a few years, I did use pirated copies, but I have bought the game many times over since then.

FWIW, no, it's not weird. It's a fun game and that doesn't demand you to be any age to appreciate. Welcome to the community :-)

Voros said:

I dont understand...i downloaded the shareware version from there...then discovered the full one.

Piracy is frowned upon, but even if you did get the full version for free first, I think we can all be forgiving about it. It's easy and cheap to rectify :D

way back when i was a kid my uncle brought doom 2 home, for some impossible to understand reason he liked wolf 3d better, so i got to play doom 2. i'm pretty sure that version was pirated, tho years later in middle school i purchased a legit copy from a dollar store that had huge stash of them. the console raised kids who where my friends back then just made fun of it, but i remembered doom so i bought it. ironically i only played doom 1 way later in 2013, and i now like it more than doom 2

chungy said:

FWIW, no, it's not weird.

but it's very, very cool! We always kind of wondered when DOOM would die off, what with Quake brewing its own storm, and newer and fancier games following like an army on the march. I never thought babies would be born in the 2000s, grow up and then join the DOOM community! Honestly it feels like I'm encountering extraterrestrials whenever I read someone here reveal their young age :)

I discovered DOOM in either '93 or '94, when kids were talking about it in the school yard. I already had Wolf3D at that point, but DOOM was the real deal. Other worldwide hits like STREET FIGHTER and Mortal Kombat also occured around that time.

SavageCorona said:

I don't think anyone owns Doom 2016 yet.

My dad sat me on his lap when I was 3 and he let me press the shoot and open doors buttons while he did the movement. Best moments of my life and now they're just mere memories.

Damn that got depressing towards the end

I'd play BLACK BELT on the SEGA MASTER SYSTEM with mine.. (I was the kid).. He could never get far and it was always a very short session. One thing he did very well, was Wii-mote gestures about 20 years before the Wii even existed.

Discovered it in a friend's copy of CVG magazine in early '94 and I was like, "holy shit, it's like a SNES game but with floors AND walls!" (I'd only seen games like F-Zero and Jurassic Park up to that point - only found out about Wolf3D through the same mag).

Finally got to play it the following year ... on my 32X. And now you know why I hold the Playstation version so dear.

thx gemini. if only my friends could too. Still, i love this game more than Halo, Call of Duty or any others. Doom is moddable and that litteraly makes it an ideal. the Nightmare difficulty is plain crazy to challenge, making it fun countless times...i.wonder if i play MAP30 of Doom 2 on Nightmare?

Hellbent said:

I discovered Doom in 2012 and have been a hardcore Doom Addict ever since!

I have no idea why this made me laugh so much. That good old fashioned Grotug humor

It was somewhere between 2004 or 2005 when i had first played PSX Doom on Playstation. It was so amazing.

I Started by Doom 3 back in 2006 and decided to buy Doom 2 later, i only got PC versions on my steam library .

At my dads work in 1995 I used to play shareware Doom, then got it working on my own PC around a year later.

I'm 26 now! And still play on my own PC :) bought Ultimate Doom around 14 years ago and then joined this community and............ have barely contributed at all!

When I was around 6 and my Dad had the Shareware version installed on his computer. I used to be really bad at it, I had to use cheats just to survive.

I do sorta regret supporting teh release group scene, both on PC and Amiga... crackers were so rife at that time that they killed off entire software houses who just couldn't be bothered any longer to make games that no-one bought, but that is how I found out about Doom and Heretic. hee. My other regret is that when I bought Doom 2 I remembered the cheat codes from the previous game and, uh, used them. I would probably be a better player if I had chosen not to but I was too young to die at the time

Back in 1996 when my mom payed one of the teenage neighbors to come and install some games for our PC. I remember sitting and watching him doing stuff on the computer and then I saw Doom2 title screen, I won't forget that moment, I was 6. He also got me the full version of Doom1, Rise of the Triads and Mortal Kombat III.

In 2010 playing the shit out of Half Life led me to discover the ID software legendary trilogy. I installed Wolf3D and Doom in the computer we had in the living room but i just played a bit because i was much more into HL.
Later i secretly installed Doom95 in my older brother's computer which could barely run Internet Explorer. I used to play while he was at work, with no mouse and no sound. I remember one winter night i was battling through E2M7 with lights out, my brother was lying in the bed but he couldnt see the screen from there. I picked up the inv sphere in front of the inverted cross, the last seconds of the powerup made the whole bedroom started to flicker:
-"Theres something wrong with the screen?"
-"Nope"

Edited by Dav_NW

Voros said:

How does it feel to talk about your "beginning?"

Did you earn that forum title? Quite an accomplishment.

My "beginning" was regrettably the SNES port. Circa 1995.

Diamhea said:

My "beginning" was regrettably the SNES port. Circa 1995.

The SNES port was certainly interesting. Despite its shortcomings, it had an advantage over the other ports at the time in that its levels were based around the PC version rather than the Jaguar version which meant it also had the Cyberdemon and SpiderMasterMind in it. For what they had to work with, they did an okay job and at least the music came out very good.

Voros said:

I was born in 2000... Weird to be a Doomer huh?

I dont understand...i downloaded the shareware version from there...then discovered the full one.

I was born late 1999, it's not that weird!

First played Doom in 2011 or 2012 on the Doom Classic ios port thing (lol).

I'm pretty sure the first time I actually came in contact with Doom was when my older brothers rented the SNES version. We spent a good amount of time wandering the first area of E1M1 but never getting anywhere.
Then we played the first levels of episode 2 and 3 but they were rather difficult; we wouldn't get very far.
It was the next day when I got home from school before them (I was probably 6?) and I played the first level and found out you can open the first door. It was our first FPS game, we didn't know about doors and lifts yet. I remember running and telling my mom that I found out how to get to the next area.

No, she didn't care.

Since then I've owned just about every version and sequel on every console (besides stuff like 3D0). Fun fact: Doom first came out on my 4th birthday.

1995, mang. I was Dooming when I was in Kindergarten. I pressed the Fire button while I sat on the chair with my Dad. He operated all the other controls. Amazing. He would aim with the mouse while I would help choose weaponry and I pressed the fire button. It's amazing how effective we were, playing on Ultra-Violence mode. We almost never had to use cheat codes.

Meanwhile, I was scared as shit to play by myself. Only until I was 10 or so could I play Doom without cheat codes, the game was just too scary because of all the horrific memories I had of the game throughout childhood which followed me into my prepubescent years.

At age 14 I started mapping. At age 16 I started mapping productively. At age 20 I started mapping in an advanced method, utilizing many different avenues of inspiration to help me generate new creations.

I found the shareware somewhere and fell in love when the first Pinky Demon died, falling into a beautiful pool of blood as more blood drooled over its body. It was the most metal thing I saw as a kid, and kept playing. Eventually I played that flash conversion and beat the shareware on Ultra-Violence.

Good times. Good High School lunch breaks.