Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Rubilacxe

How exactly do you make skins?

i am hoping to make a personal skin for myself, and would like to know the details of making a skin. Any pointers?

Guest pickle_hammer

get a good graphics program like PSP 7

Do it in a 3D package. You might want to just modify the Marine a little, but if you´re planning to make a whole new skin, making it in 3D will be really helpful. I don´t think you want to draw the animation set again and again in the 8 directions the player looks at, so if you can just rotate the camera it would help you tremendously.

As for implementating the skin in the game, I don´t know. I´ve never tried to do one. First than all make sure the graphics you make somewhat matches the Marine´s. Otherwise you will look like a clipped giant or a midget (unless you want to :).
Also remember that you´re limited by DooM´s pallete. Every pic you render/draw must be converted to indexed BMP using this pallete. You can acquire it by exporting an IWAD graphical resource to a BMP, and stealing it on any decent 2D software.

Depends on what you are talking about.

A) Actually putting the gfx in the wad - a synch. Grab wintex and put your shiny face into the wad, using an appropriate sprite name (like RUBIF3f7, or ACXEf3f7 [f3f7 is jsut a frame reference]). Then you have to put in a skin pointer so zdoom can understand this gibberish - just grab some other skin and modify what it's skin pointer has in it.

B) Actually making the gfx - If it's nothing major I would just extract the sprite used for the player in doom and do whatever changes you have to it (ie, like making an ak-47 for him, or adding a really big helmet, or making a backpack, you get creative here).

If it's something major I would suggest grabbing a sprite from some other game or some other character that closly resembles what you want (hehe, like a cybie) and then modify as you please.

Take for instance some other people's personal skins - they just grabbed some other sprite and added something to it.