Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Malachai

*sigh*...Teachers...

Guest Malachai

What's happened to PFCRon is a terrible thing for sure. I'd guess that a good 90-99% of all you out there would agree with me that it was a damned atrocity, what happened to him. Shoot (no pun intended), I've had the same thing happen to me. I've written a paper for an Intermediate Composition class that claimed video games don't actually cause Violence, but can even in some cases, be used as therapeutic tools. I got a not-so-pleasant grade to say the least simply because of my stance and argument...or at least that's what I understood from the fun comment on the back of my 5 page report.

Anyway, I plan to become a high school teacher after attending college of course, and I'm going to major in either English Arts or History. The point is, I want to be one of those few, but oh-so-important "understanding teachers" who don't judge like that b*tch that PFCRon had to deal with. I want to be understanding and encourage my students to speak what they feel, not what they're forcefed by society. And if I should get in trouble by administration, etc, (probably being accused of inciting rebellion or something...heh...) I'll just gladly recite the rights that are protected by the Constitution of our great but hypocritical country. I just thought I'd share all this so you know that there will be non-*sshole teachers in the future.

Long live Doom!

Of course, it doesn't stop at high school teachers. Try writing an essay at university and disagreeing with the point of view of the guy who is marking your paper. By the time Uni finished, we all knew which lecturers to agree with, regardless of our own opinion. And the ones that would give you a better mark if you took them to the pub for a pint after the exam.

Then there is the real world. Plenty of bosses will not tolerate anything other than yes men. Fall foul of that kind of guy/girl and you are looking for a new job. Of course, under those circumstances, a new job is probably no bad thing.

This can extend to bullying in the work place, or just plain and simple unfairness. If an individual has the power, they may well do something to disadvantage another for whatever reason they have, or don't have. And of course, they may not. I have no idea of the background of this, nor how justified it might have been, but there has been a successful prosecution (not recently mind) under British military law for "looking at me a bit funny on parade". A commanding officer has/had the right to try any man under him for any crime he saw fit. Not sure of the current situation.

And then of course, for me, there was post graduate teacher training. A friend of mine fell foul of exactly the same type of attitude. After having an assessment he had worked on with a friend (not me, and collaborating was allowed) rejected by one tutor, he wondered why an almost identical project handed in by his partner got a "merit" from another tutor. One disagreed with the point of view, the other marked the work at face value. My friend even took it further and was told by the course director: "You see, even when stringent criteria are laid down for marking purposes, there is still variation in how the marking scheme can be applied." Make of that what you will.

My point? It's not just teachers who are assholes. In all walks of life there are people who have closed minds. If they are in a position of power, their closed mind could disadvantage you. They may not be close-minded. They may just be vindictive. Life isn't a bowl of cherries and some people suck. There are plenty of people who don’t too. With the specific case of teachers, they are in a position of trust and are relied on to do their job professionally. Some people don't. Everyone makes mistakes. I know I try to do my best, but I can guarantee I have some students who think I am an asshole. In one week I teach over 120 students. They can’t all think I am wonderful ;-). I know I can find out more about my sexual orientation by reading the graffiti on the back benches in my classroom than I ever could from Dr. Ruth.

What some people seem to misunderstand is the concept of "reply", not "post new ", this means my "horrible question of the week" is pushed down the list too soon, in favour of insignificant rubbish :)