Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Tell me why....

....doesn't ordinary Doom have any look up/down or jump support?
That doesn't make any sense whatsoever to have to look straight ahead all the time, and not be able to jump! I realize of course that when an enemy shoots up or down at you, you do "look" down or up, but you don't actually really look up or down.
Why wasn't this included in any version of Doom?

It's included in Hexen which is BASED off of Doom. The engine has the capability to do it although id didn't think it was necessary to make a good game at the time.

I remember reading an interview when someone asked this question and carmack replied 'look how long it took for the up/down looking to make it into the source ports... we simply didn't have time'.

deadnail said:

It's included in Hexen which is BASED off of Doom. The engine has the capability to do it although id didn't think it was necessary to make a good game at the time.

And Heretic... I remember when I first figured out Heretic shareware had that feature. I realized it on the first level when I was typing IDDQD to suicide and all of a sudden the screen scrolled up, I was like WTF? So then I read a little and found out you could look up and down, then I played the entire game again just to look up and down at everything :P