Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Zeratul 982

You know, I just noticed something...

Right now I only have 17 levels completed and #18 under construction. In other words I'm about half-way done, right? As of right now, the wad is about 2.45 MB big. Due to our slow 56k connection, I'm having problems trying to upload/download files from an ftp. I starting to have problems trying to upload my wad (even in zip format). Once I complete all 32 levels (if I do), imagine how much trouble I'm going to have. I may not be able to upload the finished version. :(

Well... You could always send it to me and I could upload it for you. I have a T1.

it shouldnt take too long. I got a 600k upload to Elbryan. Uploads are faster than downloads anyway.

Lazer said:

Well... You could always send it to me and I could upload it for you. I have a T1.

Umm... but he'd have to "upload" it anyway to you, so just what's the use of doing that :)

Lazer said:

Actually, that's not such a bad idea. Using rar or ace he could break the file down into any size he wanted... let's say he sent you almost 100 or maybe even 200 files, each one at 32k or something else safe.

You get them, combine and extract them, then just zip them and upload it wherever you want. This would work and it would take minimal effort (on both parts).

If he can't reliably upload 32k then something is REALLY wrong. I used to have the same problem when I was using an Intel modem on my Cyrix...

==============
Update:
==============

Okay I'm bored. =)
I decided to run a test. Using rar32.exe, which you can get at http://www.rarsoft.com, I compressed hexen.wad down into 32k chunks. Here's the command I used.

rar32 a -m5 -v32k hexrar\hexrar.rar hexen.wad

I was curious to see what happens when you break .r99, it goes to .s01. The file ended on .t49. =)

Yeah, 251 files. The hexen wad is 19 megs though, and it comressed to a nice 7.8 in 32k chunks.

All of these tiny files could be easily uploaded (if using ftp you can just drag and drop the whole folder), and then all the reciever would have to type would be:

rar32 e hexrar.rar

Simple as that, would that overcome your uploading problem?