Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

gameing rigs?

hey what gameing rigs did u have before your current. We got our first good computer in 1993, before that we had a tandy. the computer was a 486 88mhz with 8 megs ram, good computer till 1997. then we got a new computer at my dads house, he still uses it. It is a Pentium 133mhz 32megs ram and it was my rig untill 2000 on christmas when i got this computer a pentium3 450, soon to be 650 mhz and 320 megs ram. Besides computers i first had an atari, then a sega and 32x,got doom for it too, then a playstation.

Ahhh a 386sx with 4 meg mem, a 40 meg hard drive (to be informed by salesperson, "if you run doublespace on that you will NEVER need another drive") :)

current: Apple Power Macintosh G4 (bought 3 weeks ago). UuuH !

1999: (got used) Apple Power Macintosh 6100, upgraded to G3 250MHz (Sonnet technologies), easy to open, like a pizza box (looks a bid like a Sun workstation - but much cheaper). Still a fast machine, love it (except graphics card)

1998: (bought used) Apple Macintosh Quadra 840av Motorola 68040/40MHz (came with a 66 (66,76) Mhz digital signal processor = "DSP" by AT&T), outpaces every 486 on earth :) KICKASS CULT machine, but if you want to upgrade RAM, you have to fiddle around min. half an hour with a screwdriver and should have lots of bandage handy.

1997: (got used) Apple Macintosh Quadra 610/25Mhz/250MB, upgraded to Motorola 68040/48MHz (can be compared with a 486/DX4/100Mz). Same flat housing as PowerMac 6100.

1992: (bought NEW, I worked hard during my holidays) Apple Macintosh LC 10/16mHz/40MB upgraded to Motorola 68030/32mHz/160MB. Today worth a bar of chocolate (both Mac and PC). I swear that I was able to run Photoshop 3.0 on that machine! (slow - but it run)

1986: Apple Macintosh Plus (got as a gift, you may laugh reading it specs: Motorola 68000, 8MHz, first SCSI Mac)

+ I bought a NeXT cube (black hardware) some time ago on ebay (Doom´s development platform). Looks really SEXY! Grayscale monitor! This was the FIRST cube Steve Jobs made. Motorola 68040/25MHz + 25MHz DSP. The man who would stuff this beauty under a desk should be fed to the cyb.

All machines still in working condition (except the magneto-optical drive in the NeXT which sufferd by the fan)

(plus I bought a Pentium 133 in January 2001 on ebay (cheap) to be able to run ZDoom, because that port cannot be run in a PC emulation (freeeeze), so am I a true Doomer? A loyal MacUser bought the "enemy-machine" only for his beloved Doom)
The P133 performs well in ZDoom, it is a full SCSI system. PCs are not that bad, I learned! Peace!

BTW: The IBM system I love the most is PC DOS 7.0 :), it also runs on the PC emulations on my newest Mac.

(I have to admit that when I wrote about comparisions between Mac and PC, it is hard to say, because similar apps have to be available and often programms are ported so badly to the opposite platform)

P90 (overclocked to 120Mhz)/8Mb/850Mb/ATI mach 64/OPTI SB compatible/15" (I still have that monitor) this was a monster machine back at '96. Now I have a PIII 800(133Mhz FSB)/256Mb/13Gt/Voodoo3/AWE 64

Guest Nuno Correia
Peter Heinemann said:

I have a NeXT Cube... 17" color monitor, CD Caddy drive... very cool machine!

fodders said:

Ahhh a 386sx with 4 meg mem, a 40 meg hard drive (to be informed by salesperson, "if you run doublespace on that you will NEVER need another drive") :)

LOL reminds me of a quote by Bill Gates, "640K of RAM ought to be enough for anyone." Boy, have times changed. I miss the good old days where you were really smoking with a 66 Mhz 486 DX computer with VGA graphics. That was the first computer I had when I got Doom, and even though I didn't have a sound card, it was awesome (I miss those old PC speaker sounds).

I really just don't have any right to respond to this.

My current rig is an AMD Athlon 1.33Ghz @ 1425Mhz, on a 150Mhz double-pumped frontside bus, with 1.5GB of PC2100 DDR SDRAM, a 3dfx Voodoo5 @ 201Mhz (soon-to-be-replaced with a PowerVR Kyro II and then a Geforce3), and a Linksys (I think) 1000Base-TX ethernet card, all stacked onto an Asus A7A266 mounted in a double-wide, black, full-tower case with two 450W power supplies, a 12X DVD-ROM, two 16x12x48 SCSI CD-burners, and eight 30GB Ultra/160 SCSI hard drives.

Whew.

My previous rigs have been, in reverse chronological order, an Athlon 1.2Ghz, Athlon 1Ghz, Athlon 800Mhz, Athlon 600Mhz, K6-III 450Mhz, K6/300Mhz, K6/233, PPro 200Mhz (single, two, four, and recently, six-way SMP - still have that system, runs great!), Pentium 166Mhz, 486/133Mhz, 486/66Mhz, 386/40Mhz, 386/33Mhz, 286/16Mhz...before that...I barely knew that computers (or much of anything) existed.

I've always been on the leading edge. Guess it's just a thing for me. Dunno.