Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest voiceone

windows trouble

Guest voiceone

Just updated from wimpos 95 to wimpos 98, in 95 my dos version of doom 2 ran good, but now in wimpos 98, is is real sluggish, tried booting up to dos and running it, same problem. Any one have a suggestion or two, short of getting rid of windows entirely, although I would love to do that, need it for internet.

Yeah, wish windows didn't come along...
DOS was a great Stupid People(tm) filter

Linux. Heh.

Fucksakes, what kind of POS computer do you run anyway? Most of the normal computer users (by normal, I mean relatively) have good enough computers where Doom isn't a problem.

Try defragging your hard drive.

:sigh:

Another helpless PC user falls victim to the Windows98 downgrade.

It works like this: the latest version of the operating system will always be the slower one. Windows95 was designed to work decently on the hardware that was around in 95. Windows98 was designed to work decently on the hardware that was around in 98. Which basically means that even though Windows98 is supposed to do the same things as 95, it requires much more power to do it. So here's how to do it: run Windows95 on modern hardware made for Windows98/ME. Nothing but pure performance. Granted, 95 still isn't as good as DOS, but you gotta throw in a little compatibility here and there.

In terms of performance and ... um ... utility, DOS sucks the big one. I refuse to see how one can claim DOS is superior to Windows, especially Windows NT or Windows 2000.

Vorpal said:

Yeah, wish windows didn't come along...
DOS was a great Stupid People(tm) filter

Yeah, I'm sure that making Windows 15% less idiot-friendly would probably make it run about twice as fast.=(

I mean, what the hell happened to optimizing code?

Arioch said:

Linux. Heh.

Fucksakes, what kind of POS computer do you run anyway? Most of the normal computer users (by normal, I mean relatively) have good enough computers where Doom isn't a problem.

Try defragging your hard drive.

Dude, I installed Doom 2 on an Athlon 750 with a fresh install of W1n60w$ 98(tm), and it still ran like crap.

Thank God the source ports run okay.=)

Guest voiceone

Hell, did not mean to start an OS war, was just wondering if some wimpos patch might be needed. Have gone to microsoft and downloaded all the updates, same story. As far as dos not being as good as wimpos, you are prob right if you are a drag and dropper, but if you like to control your computer, not let wimpos control it for you then no. oops.. did I throw some wood on the war?... hehe

Well lets see, I get the same accomplished no matter whether or not I do it via drag-and-drop or command prompt. I don't see why I have to degrade myself by rebooting into DOS (which I can't, by the way, since I'm running pure NTFS).

Oh yes, on my linux box I use nothing but command line.

Rethink your stereotypes.

Speshul Eddy said:

Yeah, I'm sure that making Windows 15% less idiot-friendly would probably make it run about twice as fast.=(

I mean, what the hell happened to optimizing code?

Windows: The "Digital Butterfly-Knife"

:)

Guest voiceone
Arioch said:

Well lets see, I get the same accomplished no matter whether or not I do it via drag-and-drop or command prompt. I don't see why I have to degrade myself by rebooting into DOS (which I can't, by the way, since I'm running pure NTFS).

Oh yes, on my linux box I use nothing but command line.

Rethink your stereotypes.

Like I said, did not mean to start an OS war. If you are happy with windows, great, there has been a ton of excellent programs written for windows. I guess it is a matter of what a person grew up on, I grew up with dos, running my own bbs (bulletin board system in case some people don't know what that is), I cringed when the internet became windows 3.1 uncompatible, and one had to use wimpos 95, took me 3 years to finally bite the bullet and buy it. Then recently bought wimpos 98, have had nothing but trouble with it since, as I did with wimpos 95 when I first started using it. My main point I would like to stress is, dos does not take up that much drive space and memory to run, where with wimpos 95 and 98, it takes up a lot of each. I have some great dos games that won't even run on windows, due to the memory windows uses. I know, buy the new games, and yes I do, but some of my older games are great to play. Now back to the problem at hand, I am running a pentium 500 with 128 megs of ram, have a brand new western digital hard drive and doom does not run. Actually it does run, but to turn 90 degrees it takes about an actual minute. So in reality, it does not run. If anyone has any other suggestions, feel free to reply thanx.

If you're talking about conventional memory, most Win9x boxes I configure always have more than 610K free. That's a very important distinction for DOS games, but is fairly useless for Windows games.

You can't just say "the internet isn't compatible with such and such an OS" ... in fact I daresay I can still get online with a Win 3.1 computer, and use opera to view webpages, etc. Most useful utilities still have a fairly up-to-date 16-bit build. Not that I'd go back to using Win 3.1, of course.

Now that I come to my point -- is that back during the heyday of DOS, all 6 megs of it plus all 12 of Win 3.1 can take up anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 of a hard drive. Compare it to a maxed out Win2K install, which weighs in at around 1 Gig, but today's monster hard drives are anywhere from 40 to 80 gigs. That's 1/40th or 1/80th of a hard drive. When I look at inane complaints that software takes up more space today than in the past, I look at it from the point of view of ratios -- compared to today's typical available storage space, they've SHRUNK.

You could try right click on desktop>new shortcut point it to Doom2.exe. When you have your new icon right click on that and select properties and play around with the memory allocations