Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

Romero to make DOOM wad.

In a series of emails, Romero sent word that he would be making an E1 style DOOM wad and posting it on his website www.planetromero.com and on www.doomworld.com when it is done.

The emails went as follows:

Jason Root:

After many failed attempts at making DOOM levels that recapture the mood and atmosphere of DOOM: Knee Deep In The Dead, I thought it high time the man behind the magic dust off the old DOOM editor and create another Phobos Moon Base style level. No fancy features, just good ol' classic DOOM. It was cool when id made a 4th episode back in 1996 or whenever it was, but I think now, over 6 years after the original, to release a Classic Episode 1 style level would stir up a lot of interest and nastalgia among the DOOM community.

John Romero:

Sounds like a good idea. I might do that! :)

John Romero
GÀ/\/\Ê ÐÊS?GNÊR - ?ØN STØR/\/\
romero@ionstorm.com, romero@apple2.com
http://rome.ro

Jason Root:

Hi again. Sorry to bother you. I was wondering if you were really planning on making another DOOM map. All the die hard DOOMers have their fingers crossed ;-).

John Romero:

I haven't had the time yet, but i'm planning on it. I'll put it up on my site and DOOMWorld when it's done. :)

John Romero
GÀ/\/\Ê ÐÊS?GNÊR - ?ØN STØR/\/\
romero@ionstorm.com, romero@apple2.com
http://rome.ro

thats great news... I'd certainly be interested in seeing the final product.

Dima said:

Cool!
Looking forward to it.

Who's Romero ??? .......................just kidding ! Sounds cool...

Mmh, that's really interesting. I'd like to see what he can do, seems like he never lost touch with the DooM community.

I'm also interested in knowing what the hell is he doing now down there at ION...Daikatana came a long time ago, I'm sure he has something working right now.

Guest DIRE
Hellbent said:

I thought it high time the man behind the magic dust off the old DOOM editor

What editor did ID use to make the original doom wads? Im sure it proprietory. And is their any chance of them making it public?

I'm sure it was proprietory, too. I don't think it would run on Windows, so they'd have to port it to Windows somehow. Email Romero asking him how he will make the wad and whether he will use an existing editor or will the used when he made the original doom. I would ask, but I've already emailed him twice, so I think it best you email him. Plus it lets him know that I'm not the only one interested in him making another DOOM map.

awesome, that's some really great news. looking forward to seeing it. hopefully it isn't too far off.

Zaldron said:

Mmh, that's really interesting. I'd like to see what he can do, seems like he never lost touch with the DooM community.

I'm also interested in knowing what the hell is he doing now down there at ION...Daikatana came a long time ago, I'm sure he has something working right now.

dude after what happened to daikatana he's not letting anyone think his new game is completely overhyped

DIRE said:

What editor did ID use to make the original doom wads? Im sure it proprietory. And is their any chance of them making it public?

I think it is public, and they've released the source code, but I think Doom was developed on NeXt cubes so it's not for windows.

mewse said:

dude after what happened to daikatana he's not letting anyone think his new game is completely overhyped

Yeah, but at least I would like to know if it's a FPS, or if it's SP/MP, or Fantasy/Realistic/Future. I'm not asking that much :)