Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
fodders

Scary?

Echelon, the shadowy Anglo-American snooping system, has come under attack from Britain's European allies.

Euro-MPs have urged computer users across Europe to encrypt all their e-mails to avoid spying eyes.

Echelon has long been the stuff of internet legend, though its existence has never been officially acknowledged.

The committee of Euro-MPs have been studying Echelon for nearly a year, following claims the US was using it to commit industrial espionage against European businesses.

Its tentacles stretch so far UK involvement could be in breach of European human rights laws, they say.

They conclude that Echelon is reading millions of e-mails and faxes every day.

The system was allegedly set up after World War II to glean vital information during the Cold War.

But the committee says ordinary individuals and companies are now being spied on, and should routinely encode their e-mails to safeguard their privacy.

The committee concluded that Echelon cannot be proven to have been used to conduct industrial espionage ...

Sure, they can read my mail, but most of the mail in my box consists of spam. Individual e-mail clients have enough trouble separating the trash from the good stuff, imagine doing that for hundreds of millions of people.

I'm not all that concerned... I operate my computer on the basis that it could be seized and searched at any second, and that goes for email too. It would be nice to not have to do that, but I know better. I keep my more personal stuff on the computers that aren't connected to the internet.

Shit dude, they had that story on Dateline a year ago... complete with film of the sites of it in Britian and charges that a French company lost an Airplane contract due to us having the information first.

The damn thing catches words used in phone phrases too, such as President, bomb, strike, any words of that nature, then flags them for analysis... and it's been doing that from the start. Nowadays the thing monitors the whole world's conversations AT ONCE, and doesn't miss a beat.

Good technology that is clearly being abused. The cold war is over. It doesn't stop terrorism. Pull the fucking plug.

/me looks in email box

/me wonders if he's at all bothered if some bored FBI monkey reads everything there

nope.

Guest Stphrz'
deadnail said:

Shit dude, they had that story on Dateline a year ago... complete with film of the sites of it in Britian and charges that a French company lost an Airplane contract due to us having the information first.

The damn thing catches words used in phone phrases too, such as President, bomb, strike, any words of that nature, then flags them for analysis... and it's been doing that from the start. Nowadays the thing monitors the whole world's conversations AT ONCE, and doesn't miss a beat.

Good technology that is clearly being abused. The cold war is over. It doesn't stop terrorism. Pull the fucking plug.

BOMB THE PRESIDENT! STRIKE HIM DOWN!!!!!!

Guest MAC'VILEWHORE
fodders said:

Scarey!?

I'll show you something scary.........

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOROAAAAWRGROWLRUMPRUMPROAAAAWR!!!!!!

Arioch said:

The committee concluded that Echelon cannot be proven to have been used to conduct industrial espionage ...

Sure, they can read my mail, but most of the mail in my box consists of spam. Individual e-mail clients have enough trouble separating the trash from the good stuff, imagine doing that for hundreds of millions of people.

And if they want to wade through my mailbox first they need to filter out about 300 Cygwin32 mailing list messages a day, then about another 100 pieces of spam ... and then they see the boring stuff like Doomworld news submissions and viruses and ... um ... not much else.

Whee.

Arioch's right. I feel sorry for the moron who checks any "potential" info found in my mail address.