Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

Forums Stuff

I am thinking of getting the vBulletin (http://www.vbulletin.com/) forum system for Doomworld. I like it a lot because it's easy to set up and maintain, and it runs off of PHP/MySQL so I would know how to hack it pretty easily. The only problem is it costs (ahem) $160. While I have the funds to swing this, I am trying to decide whether or not buying vBulletin would be worth it, and if the activity / people on these forums warrant the cost.

No, it's not worth it.

We like the forums as it is.

And you need to save your money so you can get airfare down to id headquarters for the exclusive on Doom 3 you're going to get.

Guest RTC Marine

well, this would certainly make a nice change to doomworlds layout, having new forums would make things alot nicer.

Katgut said:

And you need to save your money so you can get airfare down to id headquarters for the exclusive on Doom 3 you're going to get.

Riiiiiiight.

mewse said:

I second the screw-over.

I third it... l3t5 wr1t3 0ur 0wn ph0rum s0ftw4r3

Nah. Keep the forums as they are. They're fine. Think of all the thing you could do with $160.

Linguica said:

Riiiiiiight.

Why the hell not ?!?!???

I like the forums the way they are. If you really must spend that $160 though, how about using it for prizes for a new competition or something? :)

The Seriously! Forums are runned on IkonBoard, and instead of puny 36X36 faces, you can use larger 64X64 Avatars instead. Also note that you can also tell the guy running the message board to get your 64X64 Avatar uploaded and be reserved by the person who uploaded.

Guest Liam the Bard

Keep 'em the way they are. Use the money for something else.

I say the forums should stay the same. Bigger faces? Bah. That's just plain annoying paging thru forums (like on some **other** doom sites) and most of it being annoying dumb pictures.

Guest fraggle`

warez it.

Those are like the Awful forums, right? No way. There's no individual replies/subthreads, everything just goes to the bottom of the thread, and the topic order keeps changing.

Hey, Linguica, this probably isn't related to the current post, but do you think you could set up some sort of place where people like me could post short stories? I know a lot of other people who post short stories would appreciate it. So, how about it?

These forums are perfect- The subthreads, the lack of 345x536 images, the small avatars...

Everything's perfect here, even the colour scheme. Just take a look at how people abuse from forums in other sites. I don't even want to imagine what would this place be when DooM 3 arrives...

Guest ZarcyB

Blazeboard is a free, vBulletin-style board that runs on PHP/MySQL. IMO, it's better than vBulletin because it's free and easy to customize.

You can get it from www.bbhacks.com

Guest fraggle`
Jon said:

I third it... l3t5 wr1t3 0ur 0wn ph0rum s0ftw4r3

lets not.

CacodemonLeader said:

you can use larger 64X64 Avatars instead.

WOW, THAT'S THE MIRACLE OF CISCO SYSTEMS!!!!!!11111

Bah.

ZarcyB said:

Blazeboard is a free, vBulletin-style board that runs on PHP/MySQL. IMO, it's better than vBulletin because it's free and easy to customize.

You can get it from www.bbhacks.com

Now if only MySQL hadn't choked on Ling...

Guest Stitches-OsC

DooMboy quit with the stupid fan fic forum thing you ran it into the ground, its annoying!

Ling, no dont waste the money, this forum system is great.

Wow... everyone seems pretty unanimous. I don't know what this other forum is, but the current one seems fine to me and I'd only be annoyed if it got changed.