Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
stphrz

Segmentation Violation ????

I'm currently working on a level for the BOOM engine and I keep getting these occasional, seemingly random "segmentation violation" errors.

These errors never seem to happen in the same place and I'm at a loss as to why they are occuring. Does anyone know what these errors are and what causes them?

Guest cocoon

Weird.. I am getting the same thing in MBF now. I have had two crashes the past week (but never before)

Guest Ty Halderman
stphrz said:

I'm currently working on a level for the BOOM engine and I keep getting these occasional, seemingly random "segmentation violation" errors.

You need to remember that "Segmentation Violation" is a catchall trap for things that would otherwise crash the game, lock up the machine, or cause later problems, as used to happen with the DOOM engine. As to specifically what the problem is, it could be any number of level problems. MBF is based on Boom and so uses the same error trapping logic.

I'd suggest using DCC on the level as well as error checks in your editor (DETH has some good ones, as does DeePsea). Look especially for things like illegal linedefs that have no first sidedef, etc. If you're using a DEH/BEX patch, be sure you haven't done something silly :)

One thing that I can tell you is that it's usually a wad error, especially during development. Few happen truly randomly--you may need to record a demo and play it back to see where it crashes (if it'll even save one).

cocoon said:

Weird.. I am getting the same thing in MBF now. I have had two crashes the past week (but never before)

Try Doom Legacy.... you'll get them continually!
Even with wads which work fine with 'Plain Vanilla'
Doom and Doom2 :(

I've found MBF to be much more helpful than most
in terms of reporting errors.

Well, I think I've figured out the cause. I think it is related to running the dos version of Boom in Windows. I'm doing that because the run map option in WadAuthor doesn't work with PrBoom or Zdoom. (Anyone know how to get this to work?)