Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HateFactor

doom/q1/q2 references in q3 skins

Have you noticed how the character "Doom" in Quake III looks a lot like the doom marine, too?

fraggle said:

Have you noticed how the character "Doom" in Quake III looks a lot like the doom marine, too?

No way really?

fraggle said:

Quit spreading your lies! And Ranger looks kinda like the d00d from quake!!

The reflection image looks like something that could be used as a DW header graphic. It's about the right size.

IMJack said:

The reflection image looks like something that could be used as a DW header graphic. It's about the right size.

How about a UAC header graphic. Those guys seem to have more to do with Doom than even the Doom Guy himself.

Heh...I played Quake 3 like twice, so I never even bothered to look.

I always have to run Quake 3 under the lowest and crappiest video mode, can't see nothing :/

[sarcasm]Quake3world[/sarcasm]Heh Heh ... :D

that's pretty cool, you'd never see it during gameplay, but it's cool they kinda hid stuff in Q3.

Ct_red_pants said:

ohh. didn't know that.

I still say doom II has the best secrets of any id game.

Like what?
The only secrets in Doom 2 that I know of are: 1) Two Wolf3d levels with small, cute, blue nazis and (2) a strung up Commander keen at the end of the second level. 3) John Romero in the baph's head

Oh yeah and notice how there are two other characters (apart from that green Doomguyish fella) in Q3A that wear helmets that look remarkably similar to the Doomguy's helmet in the old Doom?

I'm surprised ppl even remember what he looks like lol that was so long ago!

dsm said:
Like what?
The only secrets in Doom 2 that I know of are: 1) Two Wolf3d levels with small, cute, blue nazis and (2) a strung up Commander keen at the end of the second level. 3) John Romero in the baph's head

I didn't mean the number[i/] of secrets, I mean how [i]Good they are.

Like I said:
I still say doom II has the best secrets of any id game.

What id game has better secrets then those?

dsm said:

Oh yeah and notice how there are two other characters (apart from that green Doomguyish fella) in Q3A that wear helmets that look remarkably similar to the Doomguy's helmet in the old Doom?

There are Crash and Phobos, they're supposed to be Space Marines as well..

fraggle said:

There is Crash and Phobos, they're supposed to be Space Marines as well..

Yeah, Crash was Doom's military instructor and Phobos got his name from leading a strike on Phobos and being the only survivor.

Lord FlatHead said:

The Crash model from Quake3 is a sexy little thing. id should really put females in Doom III.

They should put more females in everything.

bigbadgangsta said:

Yeah, Crash was Doom's military instructor and Phobos got his name from leading a strike on Phobos and being the only survivor.

Strange, you didn't meet Phobos in Doom, so how could he have survived?
:-P

bigbadgangsta said:

those characters were just made for quake though. they aren't mentioned anywhere in the doom games.

There's not much mentioned at all in the doom games-

So there's really room for evolution of the story. Since noone mentioned Phobos in doom, how do you know that they didn't go at it from 2 ends. :p besides.. he's like yellow/brown there's a brown marine in coop. :p

I guess everyone already knows this, but I installed and played Quake II for a bit the other day (I know, I know). What I hadn't spotted before was the name of the character you play is mentioned in the comms messages during the intro, and is scrawled over the front of your launch pod (visible in the intro and right at the start of the 1st level - though I couldn't read that before). The name? "Bitterman", which of course is the name of a QIII character.

Enjay said:

I guess everyone already knows this, but I installed and played Quake II for a bit the other day (I know, I know). What I hadn't spotted before was the name of the character you play is mentioned in the comms messages during the intro, and is scrawled over the front of your launch pod (visible in the intro and right at the start of the 1st level - though I couldn't read that before). The name? "Bitterman", which of course is the name of a QIII character.

The Q2 Bitterman and the Q3A Bitterman is the same person - read the Q3A Bitterman's "profile" in the Q3A manual.
In a nutshell, Bitterman was captured by the Strogg after his escape pod ride - they conducted experiments on him and mutated him so that his flesh became both far more and far less than human.

dsm said:

The Q2 Bitterman and the Q3A Bitterman is the same person - read the Q3A Bitterman's "profile" in the Q3A manual.

Read the manual? Noboby reads the manual! :-)

OK, thanks, I had missed that. In fact I hadn't even realised the word scrawled on the escape pod said Bitterman until I made the link between the 2 games. I had tried to read it before, but the low res pixelated word wasn't clear to me. I mean. "Bitterman" it's not a word you automatically recognise is it?

I like Eric Webbs severed decomposing head in the corner of that one room. I thought that was pretty cool.

kristus said:

There's not much mentioned at all in the doom games-

So there's really room for evolution of the story. Since noone mentioned Phobos in doom, how do you know that they didn't go at it from 2 ends. :p besides.. he's like yellow/brown there's a brown marine in coop. :p

maybe doom3 will mention them.