Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest EiReFury

What editor?

Guest EiReFury

I'm new to Doom editing (yup!) and I'm trying to decide which editor to use. I've been using WadAuthor, but is there anything better? Also, I'd appreciate it if someone could help me out with WadAuthor over email - theres a lot of stuff I don't understand. Thanks lads

I use WadEd 1.42 for basic construction, WadAuthor for enhanced format work, large and multiple level support, most texturing, and external wad support. I've also got a bunch of other tools for non-level stuff, like Wintex (both v3.4 and v4.3,) warm, and some sound and image editors. There are advantages and disadvantages to all editors, you just have to find what you like.

A lot of people don't like WadEd because "it's a newbie's editor" or "it's too buggy," but I've found that if you learn its finer points, it is one of the best construction tools available. You do have to watch out for a few small bugs, but once you've learned them they never bother you again.

As for WadAuthor help, check out Rick Clark's page. He's got plenty of great stuff just for people like yourself. http://members.xoom.com/rickclark

If WadEd ran in windows and was less buggy I would probably use it for my main editor. It has the best drawing method I have ever seen and it is generally very easy to use.

DeePsea is the best in every way, although it costs money, so that might not be an option. DCK is one of the best, easiest to learn, easiest to use editors. Maybe the best. It only works in DOS though, so that's a downside. That's pretty much the pinnacle.

I've been using WadAuthor for a year, and after building 15 levels with it I feel comfortable with using it for all my map building. I am currently learning the ropes of ZDooM editing and the basics of scripting using WadAuthor. However, I must point out that WadAuthor occasionally does inexplicable things to my maps, usually when they have grown large. (It could be something that I've done that's causing the problem, but I can't tell for sure.) Also, being a sector-based map editor, WadAuthor has some aspects that are not the most friendly. But on the other hand, it has plenty of user-friendly aspects.

A really good way of learning how things work in DooM, is to use WadAuthor (or any other editor) to view a published map. Pick a map that you really enjoyed playing, or in which you had noticed some innovative ideas. Use your map editor to view that map and learn what the author did.

Good luck.

stphrz said:

If WadEd ran in windows and was less buggy I would probably use it for my main editor. It has the best drawing method I have ever seen and it is generally very easy to use.

I design all of my levels in that, sometimes in sections, and then paste them together using WadAuthor with error-checking and other fix-ups in DeeP. Sometimes it gets annoying with those tiny tiny level limits WadEd has, I had to one of my Millennium levels (subway) in 27 sections :|

Although that still went much faster that way than it would have with any other editor.

Guest Fanatic64

Get a book called 3D Game Alchemy which teaches you how to create levels. The main editor the author uses throughout the book is WADED. This editor is very easy to use, perfect for the beginner. This book comes with a CD that includes a lot of goodies like level editors, utilities, game wads, etc. The version of WADED included on the CD is v1.88. I prefer to use version 1.83 instead because it appears to be less buggy. You can get this version at ftp.cdrom.com.

Guest timpani

Don't use WADED, it is a very buggy program which automaticly deletes bits and pieces of your level when you don't notice it. The perfect editor for beginners would be DOOMCAD V6.1. It is a very easy to use windows 95/98 editor with a basic tutorial which gives you instructions on how to make your level with a room, a door, a crate in a room, an elevator, etc.

Doomcad is a peice of crap. It crashes all the time and you cant use custom textures in it whitch is kind of important if you want a good wad. Its way of adding secters is the slowest of any editor i have ever used. Stay with wadauthor, DCK or deep.

Fanatic64 said:

Get a book called 3D Game Alchemy which teaches you how to create levels. The main editor the author uses throughout the book is WADED. This editor is very easy to use, perfect for the beginner. This book comes with a CD that includes a lot of goodies like level editors, utilities, game wads, etc. The version of WADED included on the CD is v1.88. I prefer to use version 1.83 instead because it appears to be less buggy. You can get this version at ftp.cdrom.com.

Hehe... I'm in that book. :) Truthfully, my FRuiTDooM mod almost made it on to the back cover, but the stupid transatlantic cable was acting up. So nothing got published in it, but my name's in the back and I've got stuff on the CD.