Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

Monsters have good hearing...

How do I use the "block sound" flag effectively? For whom does the "block sound" flag block sound? I got monsters roaming long before I want them to be active, opening doors etc. Most monsters I have on deaf, but some can't be on deaf for certain effects I'm going for. Rather, I want them to have hearing once I've entered the area they're in.

AFAIK the gun-fireing sound are completely blocked when there are *two* lines marked sound-blocking between you and the monster.

You didn't mention what version of Doom you are using. In the case of ZDoom, you can use the dormant flag to turn monsters off and on.

For regular Doom, sounds move in all directions so make sure the sound isn't wrapping around walls. It will also go through windows and doors. I have never really gotten the block sound to work fully in regular Doom. Not sure if it does.

boris said:

AFAIK the gun-fireing sound are completely blocked when there are *two* lines marked sound-blocking between you and the monster.

Yes, I think so too.

I.e. you'll have to have a whole sector between the other two's, were all (or the ones facing the other two sectors) linedefs should be set to sound blocking.

-----------
| Monster|
| |
----------- <- sound blocking line
| |
----------- <- sound blocking line
| |
| Player |
-----------

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll try those suggestions. I have zdoom - so I'll try the dormant monster thing too.