Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest WimVR

Pain Elemental Bug?

Guest WimVR

I'm creating a wad and while testing it i noticed that on Ultra-Violence the Lost souls don't come out of the Pain Elementals. I use Zdoom vs. 1.22 . When i use boom, my wad works well. In other Pwads this works fine with zdoom vs 1.22. Please, can someone help me with this problem? What have i done wrong or what do i need to do? I'm desperate :-)

Guest Wraithchilde

I noticed this with even the original Doom II in level 9,
The Pit. I always thought it had something to do with the
linedefs on the lifts, which are "monsters cannot cross".
I may be wrong, but that's the only thing I ever found.

It´s a bug in the original doom.exe. Pain Elementals can´t spawn Lost Souls if there are 25+ (or 32+?) of them (lost Souls) in the whole level.
In "The Pit" there are lot of places with lost souls which have not been spawned by ani PE. Boom, MBF and other ports fix this problem, but don´t know how Zdoom can´t handle it. I don´t use it.

Guest zyvgjc

Yeah, maybe there are too many sprites(monsters,items,etc) on the screen at once. I read that this problem is called sprite overload.

NokturnuS said:

It´s a bug in the original doom.exe. Pain Elementals can´t spawn Lost Souls if there are 25+ (or 32+?) of them (lost Souls) in the whole level.
In "The Pit" there are lot of places with lost souls which have not been spawned by ani PE. Boom, MBF and other ports fix this problem, but don´t know how Zdoom can´t handle it. I don´t use it.

The guys at id put a limit to the number of lost souls so that they would not slow down gameplay (when many were spawned). If zdoom still has the limit, well, Randy Heit should be told to remove it, cause with today's computers many lost souls don't cause problems.

zyvgjc said:

Yeah, maybe there are too many sprites(monsters,items,etc) on the screen at once. I read that this problem is called sprite overload.

Too many sprites just slow down things (in "puny" computers). And if there are too many on the screen at once some disappear form view mommentarily. Also, the original exe could only handle a limited total of "things", or else crash.

Guest WimVR

Thanks guys for helping me out. There where too many lost souls in the level. When i removed them it worked. Zdoom still has the lost soul limit.

Guest steven

I freikin hate pain elementals