Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Shaviro

How do you make DooM2 operate in episodes?

How do you make DooM2 operate in episodes?
If you FX wanna make two episodes of 32 levels?.

FX.

DooM2.Exe
--Starting up--
Newgame--
Choose episode--

like that, just like doom1.

WITHOUT USING NEW PORTS LIKE ZDOOM AND STUFF.

Doom I is made up of 3 (4 in ultimate) episodes, Doom II is made of about 32 levels, thats hardcoded into the doom2.exe, however I think both doom I and doom II nowadays uses the same exe (or if doom II still can run as doom I, same reasult anyway..)

So if you want to have episodes you'll have to make the wad for doom I (and then you'll get 4 episodes, each with 10 or so levels), otherwise you can make the wad for doom II.

I think there´s no way you can break Doom 2 in 2 or more episodes. However, you can use Doom 1 and make doom2 monsters to appear in it. Use and external wad for the sprites and some exe hacking for asign the code pointers. I test in MBF and runs very well (inspired in the PSX doom 1 version where in UV some revenants and chaingunners appear). The only doom2 feature that i don´t know how to add in doom1 is the Super Shotgun. This is really a pity...

Shaviro said:

How do you make DooM2 operate in episodes?If you FX wanna make two episodes of 32 levels?.FX.DooM2.Exe--Starting up--Newgame--Choose episode--like that, just like doom1.WITHOUT

Doom2 uses pseudo episodes; before you start map 7 you get an intermission screen and the sky changes at certain points. You could use Dehacked to change the intermission text screns and use those as episodes.

However, if you did use ZDoom, you could create episoeds however long you wanted and control all the aspects of the game through the mapinfo lump.

Shaviro said:

Well how do you do it in ZDOOM then?

You would create episodes by manipulating the mapinfo lump in the wad. The relevent entries would be:

cluster: to define a group of maps as a unit
sky1, sky2: to change a sky on a map
titlepatch: intermission graphic
nointermission: to go from one map to another without intermission

clusterdef: used if cluster is used
entertext: text to display when entering map
exittext: text to display when leaving a map
music: to define the music for a level
flat: the flat to display as the text background on enter ot exittext
hub: inidcates a cluster hub

Using these entries you can create any kind of episodes from one to any number of maps.

The mapinfo.lmp is a txt file, created with, for instance notepad and then put into the wad with programs like wintex.

You have to make it yourself, the documentation at the homepage for zdoom (zdoom.notgod.com) should tell everything you'll need.

You could allso dump the mapinfo.lmp out of the demo.wad or any other zdoom wad that uses it to see how it works :o)