Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
AndrewB

360° Skies?

How exactly do I go about putting 360 degree skies in a WAD? Just look at Requiem. It has 4 seperate sky images for each episode. I suppose that some kind of tag entries are required. Does anyone know how this works? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Other than MBF I don't know of any sky related tags. My guess is that they just created a wide sky sized to pan 360. I know ZDoom will take a wide sky. The wider a sky is the better the effect I would think. Also, then taller the sky the better. If the sky is al least 256 it won't have to stretch.

Wintex won't allow large skies you will need to use another util like DeepSea.

How do you put in a bigger sky with wintex? I get an eror when i try it.

You can use WinTex to create 360° skies. In the "Advanced"/"Edit Texture" window, select the sky texture you want to edit (i.e., SKY1, SKY2, or SKY3). Use the bar on the upper right corner of the window to increase the width of the texture (say to 1024, which is 4 times the normal sky width). Insert your 4 sky patches in the usual way, and you should have a wraparound sky. Does this answer your question, or did I not understand you correctly?

WildMan and Tarin have addressed the question of taller skies. I used DeeP 97 (before it became DeeP Sea) to create 240 high sky textures. In the "Texture Name Edit" option in the Edit menu, just select the sky, press the Edit button at the top of the window, and enter 240 in the field where it says 128 (y-axis). Press the save button at the bottom to exit that Edit window. Then press the Edit button at the top of the Texture Names Edit window. This saves the TEXTURE/PNAMES lumps to a seperate WAD, which you will need to name (say Tall_sky.wad). Copy these two lumps into your level WAD with WinTex. Do not use the "Join PWADs" feature of Wintex. Instead, highlight the Texture1" and "PNames" entries of the lump wad, use Edit/Copy Entries, go to your level wad, and Edit/Paste Entries.

This question was considered first (AFAIK) in Matt Fell's Doomspecs.