Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hypr

wads that were based in "actual" locations like alcatraz

i usually play alot of doom levels. when i run across one thats based on a real place like alcatraz.wad or hoover12.wad they did a pretty good job on them. is there any more you know of ?

Most of the levels I've played based on real places (in Doom or otherwise) have sucked. School-based wads come to mind... maybe it's just me.

The coolest that I've seen was trinity.wad, based on Trinity college in England. Also noteworthy as one of the first wads to use sprites on textures.

and you need a newer version of doom to run trinity.wad since you'll run into problems playing certain version

Well, I made a level based on an actual Laser Quest, which plays quite well (lots of pistol/shotgun/chaingun zombies in the dark-ish arena) although it doesn't look particularly good (it's all black walls like these places generally are)

I played a school based wad once, and it sucked. Apart from that and my level, I don't know of any others (apart from the ones you mentioned just now - sounds like they could be worth checking out)

Hey Ultimate Doomer, did you ever release that level in a megawad type of pack? I remember playing a wad with some level description saying that one of the secret levels were based on laser quest. If you did, I thought it was cool.

Lizardcommando said:

Hey Ultimate Doomer, did you ever release that level in a megawad type of pack? I remember playing a wad with some level description saying that one of the secret levels were based on laser quest. If you did, I thought it was cool.

Yes, it is in Fragport (my 32 level megawad) and it's 100% accurate compared to the real place, but it's not one of the secret levels, it's map 17. I don't know what the wad you played was (perhaps you could remember?) but any level based on laser tag is cool and fun to play (provided it's a realistic map)

(Now I think of it, Fragport's 2nd secret level is accurately based on an real place too, albeit in a TV gameshow)

My maps are for the most part pretty realistic, but they don't have any specific location in mind. Some of my later ones probably will, though.

to tell you the truth, I Liked trinity.wad, it had a good atmosphere,

"And you can't get me a reservation for a cruise ship going to the Bermuda Tringle WHY?!?" - Scott Wilsem

Ultimate DooMer said:

Yes, it is in Fragport (my 32 level megawad) and it's 100% accurate compared to the real place, but it's not one of the secret levels, it's map 17. I don't know what the wad you played was (perhaps you could remember?) but any level based on laser tag is cool and fun to play (provided it's a realistic map)

(Now I think of it, Fragport's 2nd secret level is accurately based on an real place too, albeit in a TV gameshow)

I think I was thinking about MAP32. In your readme, it said it was based on the TV gameshow called Crystal Caves or soemthing similar? But anyways, cool megawad.

Lizardcommando said:

I think I was thinking about MAP32. In your readme, it said it was based on the TV gameshow called Crystal Caves or soemthing similar? But anyways, cool megawad.

Yep, it was actually The Crystal Maze (don't know if you've heard of it or not, cos it was a british gameshow in the early/mid 90's) and it was very ambitious to make a level out of it (took 3 weeks cos it was that complicated) but it works.

Over at Radtard's Place (geocities.com/radtard) is a WAD called "Library et. al." which takes place somewhere in Oklahoma. It includes a library, an exercise place, something else, and a back alley complete with a dumpster and loading truck (the dumpster's got a plasma gun in it if i remember right...WHO IN THE HECK WOULD THROW AWAY A PLASMA GUN?)

WildWeasel said:

WHO IN THE HECK WOULD THROW AWAY A PLASMA GUN?

Maybe it was broken? Either that, or the operating manual for the plama gun was in chinese and whoever owned it didn't know anyone chinese so the person just throws it away.

In Doom2 map13: Downtown, that black building was based on the building next to company id software or something in Texas.

There was an Alacatraz level in HacX too. Not sure if the layout was based on the real thing but it's still impressively realistic.

I was gonna make a doom level based on a made-up channel island with a big town, docks, and some villages with farms and countryside in between..once XD, i might finish it someday, when i get some motivation to..

999cop said:

In Doom2 map13: Downtown, that black building was based on the building next to company id software or something in Texas.

heh there are three black buildings i think...

Well anyway, I think I might start work on a London Underground wad...I think that should be interesting.

What? the whole network? that WOULD be interesting XD

i made a wad called Doom: London 2666 once that had some underground bits, but i deleted it cause it sucked (it was just a load of streets and nondescript blocks passed off as buildings covered with former humans and SS guys)

Quake-based engines do better because they use true 3d geometry

deathbringer said:

What? the whole network? that WOULD be interesting XD

LMAO

it would be cool...haha...maybe just the ....Circle line or some other obscure unknown line, you're welcome to join me make it..