Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest doomed 3

installing doors and lifts that work (help)

Guest doomed 3

Lidtn,I need to know how to put in doors that youre able to
activate in my level

Guest zyvgjc

You should go to the main page of DooMWorld and click on the Tutorials link. Here, you can find help on how to start building your own levels.

Perhaps you can be a little more specific. Are you able to create the sectors for doors and lifts, but are just not able to activate them? Or are you having a problem creating the sectors in the first place?

As zyvgjc says, the best place to start is by reading some tutorials. (Read my previous post in response to your "designing levels(help)" question.) But to get you started, here are a few pointers.

A door is a sector whose ceiling is at the same height as the floor. In other words, if you have 2 rooms that are connected by a door, and the floor height of your rooms is 0, then the floor height and ceiling height of your door should be 0. (There are variations here, such as if you use a riser (or step) that is slightly higher than the adjacent floors, but we'll keep the example simple.) Thus, when the door is shut the bottom of the door is touching the floor, and when it is open the bottom of the door is close to the ceiling. A simple switching mechanism (e.g., pushing on the door, or a nearby wall switch, etc.) raises the door to about the height of the nearby rooms, allowing you to pass through.

Start by creating two rooms (sectors) next to each other, separated by a distance of, say, 32. Set the floor height of each room at 0, and the ceiling height at 128. Next, create a third sector between the first 2 sectors, and give it a thickness of 16 and width of, say, 128. This is the door sector, so give it a floor height of 0, and a ceiling height of 0. Connect this sector to the 2 other sectors (i.e., join each of the 128-wide lines (called "linedefs") to corresponding 128-wide lines in the walls of the adjacent rooms. Remember to use the "join linedefs" command or selection in your editor. If you simply move one line so that it is over the other you will not have connected the sectors, and things won't work.) You now have a sector that's 128 wide, 0 high, and 32 thick that blocks passage between the two rooms.

Next, give the your door the necessary textures. Remember, because your door reaches from the ceiling to the floor, you must give your door _upper_ (or "above) textures. The face of the door (or any vertical surface) is called a sidedef. When you have a sector whose ceiling is below that of the surrounding sectors, you must give the visible sidedefs of that sector _upper_ textures. Otherwise you will have horrible visual effects, that could even slow down the game. In this case select, say BIGDOOR2, which has a width of 128 and a height of 128. Make sure you give the texture to the correct sidedef (i.e., whichever sides face the 2 rooms. To simplify matters, always ensure that the fronts of your linedefs face the respective rooms).

Finally, on the sides that you've given the textures, select the appropriate command/selection from your editor to operate your door.

(If you're using WadAuthor as your editor, things are simplified. Create your 2 rooms, create a third sector to be your doorway and connect it to the 2 rooms, select the doorway sector by right- clicking your mouse on it, and select "Convert Sector to Door". It automatically sets the floor/ceiling height, sidedef textures, and properties of the sidedef to operate the door.)

A lift is simply a raised floor that is temporarily lowered by a switch. Create a room with floor height=0, ceiling height=128. In the middle of the room, create a 64*64 sector with floor height =64, and ceiling height=128. Give the 4 sidedefs that face the room _lower_ or "below" textures and select the appropriate command/selection from your editor to operate your lift.

I didn't expect to be so long-winded, but I hope this helps. Definitely check out those tutorials, as many of them provide illustrated examples.

We have talked *alot* about getting mainly the graphics from doom64 in the zdoom forum (apparently there is a flesh gun which really rox , according to cory (master of gunz and other stuff that goes boom) :o)

anyway, as far as i belive you'd either hack the .n64 file format for n64 emulators, or (if possible) dump the graphic memory contents of a 3d card *while* running a n64 emulator, since the weapons are sprites in doom64 too it *should* work.

there is another way by taking screenshots in a n64 emu and then manually remove everything not needed but that is *really* booring :o)