Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
deadnail

White is a very strange color.

I'm a member of the US Steelworker's Union. Today is Monday. I had to go to work today. I left after 1 hour. This is the story. This is the forum for it too, apparantly, so I want to hear what you little people have to say about this.

White is a very strange color.

The factory I work in is very hot. Second shift is the hottest shift because it puts the building in direct sunlight for the longest amount of time. The machines I work with are about 400-450 degrees farenheight (sp?) I'm guessing; our plant uses French machinery, which is celcius (sp?), and the temperatures are usally kept around 170-200.

Forgive me if my wording/spelling is off today, my brain is literally cooked.

Anyway, the building isn't designed for ventilation and what have you, so the air inside becomes trapped and just keeps getting hotter and hotter. We are ONE FUCKING ROAD (Red Arrow Highway for you people with maps) away from Lake Michigan where I work at. The lake effect humidity is phenomenal. The humidity in the air magnifies, traps, and exponates the heat in the air to a fucking astounding degree.

Inside the building, it is usually at least 20 to 40 degrees hotter than it is outside.

The 'heat index' is a combination of temperature and humidity and such. It measures how hot it feels outside. The heat index for today is somewhere between 110-120 in my area.

The new BK broiler burger is really fucking good. Just get it without the onions so you just have the BBQ sauce, smoked cheddar, bacon and bigass burger. It's so good and filling I couldn't even work on my french fries at all, and that's saying something because I'm a big fat fuck and usually I can eat a couple of quarter pounders.

At work I was sweating so much my glasses became aquariums. I couldn't keep them dry no matter what I tried. My whole body was covered in sweat within 10 minutes inside the building. My Gatorade was too hot to be considered drinkable within 20 minutes.

My hands were sweating. As soon as I touched the hot stuff I work with my handsweat boiled instantly, burning my hands in a fury I can only describe as a PAINFUCK. It was not pleasant. I was up on that lift swearing like a sailor with his cock caught in a beartrap. I would have to change my gloves every five minutes, and give them at least half an hour to dry out. There isn't enough room around there for that kind of glove chicanery. Hence, my hands were constantly boiling and my vulgarity was getting exponential.

Two weeks ago a girl passed out at my job. It got so hot I looked over at her and she didn't look right so I started running both work stations, and I told her to hurry that ass up and get some water and some air and come back when she was ready. About 5 minutes later (I was dyin' at that point too) she came back then immidiately ran outside and vomited. Two hours later she blacked out and fell down a steel staircase.

The heat had her, and it had my ass too today.

I shut my shit down and went outside to tell my boss I CAN'T TAKE THIS BULLSHIT anymore, my boiling fingers the sweat covering my whole body the fact that if I don't drink every 5 minutes my throat will dry up crack and bleed like last week and my water gets too hot to drink after 20 minutes not today I just can't deal with this shit today lemme get the fuck out of here.

Well I didn't get to tell him that, really.

As soon as I stepped outside... I did a really interesting puke.

Considering all I had to eat was a BK Broiler and vanilla coke how do I explain my puke being white?

I didn't look at it with a microscope or anything, dammit, it was kind of a passing glance as it flew out of what felt like my lungs.

Well when I walked over to the shade my boss kinda guessed that I wanted to bail. =)

It took TEN MINUTES for me to feel the air conditioning in my car on full blast, I was so hot my vision was fucked up. For about another 15 after I got out of there I felt like I was on the verge of puking again.

Now I'm here, with all those damn clothes off (I still feel like I got a gallon of heatsweat in my asscrack) under a ceiling fan with the central air blasting at a rate that would make NASA double take.

Now I just hurt. It feels like my chest is cooked. My throat is still dry even though I've downed an ice cold 591 milliliters of Pepsi since I got out of there.

You think it's hot in the kitchen at your McDonald's junior YOU HAVE NO FUCKING CLUE. THE GLUE ON MY SKECHERS MELTED TWO WEEKS AGO, I BOUGHT SOME CLIMACOOL ADDIDAS WHEN I HEARD ABOUT THEM. I SPENT $100 ON SHOES WITH AIRHOLES ALL OVER THEM IN THE HOPES THAT THEY WOULDN'T FUCKING MELT LIKE MY LAST SHOES DID.

I'm going to take an ice cold shower and maybe fuck myself with an icicle if I can find one... and I'll be GOD DAMNED if I'm going to leave this fucking house today. Let me burn down in it, it's still cooler than outside.

1. Maybe this is not good for you? Find a new line of work, seriously.
2. Is vanilla coke any good?
3. I just realized that working at a steel mill has probably made you buff and capable of kicking my arse.
/me ph33rs

Assmaster said:
1. Maybe this is not good for you? Find a new line of work, seriously.

All I have is a GED and the money in my wallet. What other job should I look into... Michigan is more out of work than Argentina. It took me 3 years to find a job that just wouldn't fire me after 6 months because I was making too much money.

I hate when people bitch about this job I have. Yes, it's hot and it's dirty and it's hard. But compared to what? 90% of the openings in my area are fucking minimum wage, and you can't even afford an apartment in my area on the money I make for fuck's sake!

It costs about $400-500 a week to live in my area and that's more than I make and it's a LOT more than anyone around here is paying. I refuse to throw away every dollar I make on a shitty apartment, and I do mean shitty.

Find a job, get a house... WITH WHAT YOU GODDAMN IDIOTS? DID YOU EVER STOP TO THINK THAT I HAVE TO SET UP A JOB BEFORE I CAN JUST MOVE SOMEWHERE, AND EVEN THEN THAT MEANS SOMEONE HAS TO BE HIRING SOMEONE LIKE ME:
1. GED
2. Never misses a day
3. Works holidays
4. Perfect work history

Are you kidding? I can't get hired to save my fucking life anywhere! My job turned down THIRTY APPLICANTS IN THE LAST TWO MONTHS BECAUSE NONE OF THEM COULD PASS THE DRUG TEST.

What the fuck do you want me to do, emmigrate to Canada or some other country that actually has a FUCKING JOB OPENING AND IS WILLING TO PAY ENOUGH MONEY AS TO BE PHYSICALLY CAPABLE OF LIVING OFF OF?

2. Is vanilla coke any good?

I've been making them myself since I was 12 and yes, they are very, very good.

3. I just realized that working at a steel mill has made you buff and capable of kicking my arse.
/me ph33rs

Quit ph33ring. I was capable of kicking your ass long before I started working fulltime.

Wasnt really bitching about your job. You seemed stressed so I thought I would lighten the mood.

I wish I was in your position, currently Im in the process of moving out of my house, and the job market here in New York is pretty bad also (Im GED also, so that makes it extra tough). Im also in college (a crappy one) and soon I'll be paying through the nose for it.

Assmaster said:
You seemed stressed so I thought I would lighten the mood.

Well I've finally cooled off and I'm on track 21 of my Halo Soundtrack so I'm doing good now.

I wish I was in your position, currently Im in the process of moving out of my house, and the job market here in New York is pretty bad also.

The job market in America right now is so fucking pathetic no wonder people like us are stuck living with ma and pa for so Goddamn long.

Making $10 an hour nowadays is barely enough to live by yourself in a trailer park with a piece of shit car and practically NO job opening in Michigan pays more than $8 an hour.

I oughta be a drug dealer, maybe then I could afford a HOME.

deadnail said:

I oughta be a drug dealer, maybe then I could afford a HOME.

Heh, I know a couple of dealers and theyre hurting pretty bad too because no one can afford the drugs.

You think it's hot in the kitchen at your McDonald's junior YOU HAVE NO FUCKING CLUE. THE GLUE ON MY SKECHERS MELTED TWO WEEKS AGO, I BOUGHT SOME CLIMACOOL ADDIDAS WHEN I HEARD ABOUT THEM. I SPENT $100 ON SHOES WITH AIRHOLES ALL OVER THEM IN THE HOPES THAT THEY WOULDN'T FUCKING MELT LIKE MY LAST SHOES DID.

It was (*does a quick conversion)97 degrees F inside my workplace yesterday. Outside it was 70 degrees F. Melted shoes are also an occupational hazard I am well aquainted with.

Thanks Stphrz. The heat index today in my area is 112 farenheight. That's how hot it is. Add 20-40 to that inside the building. My body got so hot I literally puked. That happen to you before?

US steelworkers ain't exactly flavour of the month with the rest of the world lately :)

Goddamn dude, just fill up your tub with ice and lay in it. BTW, you should talk to your union, for real. Those conditions are hardly safe. The reason you puked is probably because your brain was literally cooking inside your head. Tell your co-workers that if the management doesn't do something about the heat you guys should strike. ^_^

Hottest I ever got was on a ship in Singapore, my top bunk was situated 13" below a steam pipe supplying the catapult system to the aircraft, it was higher than the air ducts to cool the place down, and was an easy 170 F, I was taken to sick bay suffering from heat exhaustion 3 times, there where times they could not stop me sweating, which is very dangerous, hot? you don't know the meaning of it :)

O Canada, our something something land, two sacred hearts, in all our fun-filled land.. With glowing hearts, we something right, the true north strong and free.. From far and high, oh Canada, we stand on guard for thee.. Something something land, courteous and free.. Oh Canada we stand on guard for thee, oh Canada we stand on guard for thee...

Dang, it sure puts a different perspective on that office intern job.

fodders said:

Hottest I ever got was on a ship in Singapore, my top bunk was situated 13" below a steam pipe supplying the catapult system to the aircraft, it was higher than the air ducts to cool the place down, and was an easy 170 F, I was taken to sick bay suffering from heat exhaustion 3 times, there where times they could not stop me sweating, which is very dangerous, hot? you don't know the meaning of it :)

Jesus fuck I'd better quit before my sentence structure looks like that.

deadnail said:

Thanks Stphrz. The heat index today in my area is 112 farenheight. That's how hot it is. Add 20-40 to that inside the building. My body got so hot I literally puked. That happen to you before?

No. At my workplace, a bakery with three huge ovens and two spacious proofers (steamy rooms where dough is placed to rise) there is also a large fridge and walkin freezer to retreat to when it gets too much for me :) That said, I can't spend half the day chilling in the fridge and get any work done :/. There is also a 20,000 gallon cold water tank where the water is kept at about 3 degrees C (near freezing) to get drinks from. So, while I suspect my workplace is in the same league as yours when it comes to heat index (it is very, very humid) there is also several sources of quick relief. Still, not many people can hack it.

Mmm. There aren't any sources of 'quick relief', per se. There's a refiderator within 200 feet you can keep things in, and a water fountain about 200 feet the other way, it's nice and cold.

Other than that you're pretty much fucked. =/

Last couple of weeks it's been Goddamn hot but not quite this hot. I'd usually soak my head in water every break and refill a 20oz with water from the fountain every half hour but Jesus Christ, today was just too much.

Yeah, I'd soak my head every break. I'd be completely dry, shirt too, within 25 minutes afterwards though. =(

deadnail said:

Jesus fuck I'd better quit before my sentence structure looks like that.

Anyone that can say "refiderator" cannot critisise

Anyone that crams seven sentences into one cannot criticize either. QUIT BAGGING ME GRANPA MY BRAIN IS ASH AT THIS POINT.

"All I have is a GED and the money in my wallet. What other job should I look into... Michigan is more out of work than Argentina. It took me 3 years to find a job that just wouldn't fire me after 6 months because I was making too much money.

I hate when people bitch about this job I have. Yes, it's hot and it's dirty and it's hard. But compared to what? 90% of the openings in my area are fucking minimum wage, and you can't even afford an apartment in my area on the money I make for fuck's sake!

It costs about $400-500 a week to live in my area and that's more than I make and it's a LOT more than anyone around here is paying. I refuse to throw away every dollar I make on a shitty apartment, and I do mean shitty.

Find a job, get a house... WITH WHAT YOU GODDAMN IDIOTS? DID YOU EVER STOP TO THINK THAT I HAVE TO SET UP A JOB BEFORE I CAN JUST MOVE SOMEWHERE, AND EVEN THEN THAT MEANS SOMEONE HAS TO BE HIRING SOMEONE LIKE ME:
1. GED
2. Never misses a day
3. Works holidays
4. Perfect work history

Are you kidding? I can't get hired to save my fucking life anywhere! My job turned down THIRTY APPLICANTS IN THE LAST TWO MONTHS BECAUSE NONE OF THEM COULD PASS THE DRUG TEST.

What the fuck do you want me to do, emmigrate to Canada or some other country that actually has a FUCKING JOB OPENING AND IS WILLING TO PAY ENOUGH MONEY AS TO BE PHYSICALLY CAPABLE OF LIVING OFF OF?"

Welcome to capitalism.

Xian said:
Welcome to capitalism.

Try to convince me something else is better. No, really, me bitching about the heat can very easily turn into a giant anti-communist anti-idiot thread.

ONE sentence actually, I am the master of pregnant pauses after a ,
[edit]something in my 'ead said apostrophe[/edit] :)

Assmaster said: Is vanilla coke any good?

I tried some today for the first time. It tasted like coke with vanilla flavouring. It was alright. It'll prolly be better the second time I drink it as my taste buds weren't used to the added vanilla flavour.

I believe vanilla cola's intended effect is delivered at a frosty-cold temperature. I've never tried it, but any soft drink will be unimpressive at room temperature.

AndrewB is dead right. Ever had Pepsi Twist at a lukewarm temperature? Yuck.

I've never tried Pepsi Twist. I've tried Diet Lemon Coke, whih is interesting the first time or two, but then is just wierd. Ditto for the new mass-marketed Vanilla Cokes. Now a real, honest-to-Christ fountain-made vanilla (or cherry or chocolate) Coke is the absolute greatest.

One nice thing, tho: The 20-ounce Vanilla and Cherry Cokes are a measly 50 cents at my work, which is nice. If you can find any left in the cooler.

deadnail, I feel you. NYC is one of the most expesive cities in the US to live in and right now our job market sucks. I lost a good job in jan. 2001 and wasn't able to find a job until I got hired to sell souveniers for the NY mets at $6.73 per/hr. I work the home games they "need" me for, and hope for the best. I'm trying to find something else, but have not had any luck. I have had other jobs where the heat or lack thereof have been horrid. here's to the grunts of the american economy.

VileSlay said:

I got hired to sell souveniers for the NY mets at $6.73 per/hr.

Heh wtf, I thought everybody associated with that monopoly made more for just showing up to work than an entire town of hard working people.