Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

How to change Enemy Hitpoints

I want to change one of the enemies' hitpoints in DOOM, but would rather not use DeHackEd as that requires you to use a special exe if you want to play it with the hacked hitpoints. Rather, I'd like all the info to be in the .wad - so I won't need to use a separate .exe to get the changed hitpoints to take effect.

Why not consider making the wad for a source port?, if you do you might use dehacked and save the changes to a .deh file it's then even possible to embed the .deh patch into your wad file, and if you (for some wierd reason) dislike the features the source ports adds consider using boom as that port is somewhat focused on bug fixes over the original doom2.exe

There isn't anyway to do this unless you use Dehacked or use Edge. The HP is hard coded into the exe. If you don't want to use dehacked, then Edge is the way to go.

bitstate said:

Why not consider making the wad for a source port?, if you do you might use dehacked and save the changes to a .deh file it's then even possible to embed the .deh patch into your wad file, and if you (for some wierd reason) dislike the features the source ports adds consider using boom as that port is somewhat focused on bug fixes over the original doom2.exe

If I embed the .deh into the .wad - wouldn't I be able to run the .wad using normal DOOM.exe? Why would I need the use of a port to do this?

The normal Doom.exe isn't programmed to read a dehacked lump. Zdoom is currently the only port that can read a dehacked file inside a wad, I think.

Hey Strphrz. You realize I'm "Chesterules" right? Anyway - the reason I wanted to know was the potential last level I am working on will only be decent if I beef up the Spiderdemon - as he gets killed just by the other demons or a couple BFG blasts. That, naturally, won't do. Let me know if you think it is a good idea to beef his hitpoints up - which would require people who play it to use a port. But I think that's going to be the case anyway, seeing as the first level I did causes visplane overlow error using regular doom.exe.

Stphrz said:

The normal Doom.exe isn't programmed to read a dehacked lump. Zdoom is currently the only port that can read a dehacked file inside a wad, I think.

Not the only one.

Hellbent said:

Hey Strphrz. You realize I'm "Chesterules" right? Anyway - the reason I wanted to know was the potential last level I am working on will only be decent if I beef up the Spiderdemon - as he gets killed just by the other demons or a couple BFG blasts. That, naturally, won't do. Let me know if you think it is a good idea to beef his hitpoints up - which would require people who play it to use a port. But I think that's going to be the case anyway, seeing as the first level I did causes visplane overlow error using regular doom.exe.

Just use dehacked. Notice that if people dont like connecting their doom.exe to dehacked they'll use a port with the -deh parameter (so you don't, as an editor, have to worry about it). You can also distribute a modified EXE, but in that case that you won't be allowed to put it up in cdrom.com and stuff, cause thats illegal. So use dehacked.