Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brandon Mercer

Visplane Overflow

Guest Brandon Mercer

Does anyone know "exactly" what causes Visplane Overflow? Don't tell me because the level's too big! I know that. I mean such as too many sectors or linedefs. If this is the case, then how many can you use before it spits out the VPO message?

I always get it when i have too many details on the screen. I donno if its linedefs or Vertexes!?.

Maonth

Actually it's quite complicated. I've read up on it. Still don't really understand it. Essentially it is too many ssectors with different properties (height, floor or ceiling flats, light levels) in veiw (I think). It's possible to get a visplane overflow with only two sectors if you set them up like a checker board. Too many 2 sided linedefs usually causes HOM. However if you have too many 2 sided linedefs, chances are you also have too many ssectors with different properties as well.

Guest zyvgjc

To avoid the visplane overflow problem, try playing your wads using one of the source ports like PRBOOM and ZDOOM.

It's mostly caused by having too many sectors in view with different light levels, floor/ceiling levels, different flats, etc. etc... too much variations in sector properties. I'm usually struck with the 2s HOM bug before VPO as was the case in my Darkening E2 map14 DM level where I just let the HOM stay there... I did have to get rid of some VPO there... the VPO limit is 128 and a couple areas in that map kept hovering at 130. I always hate deleted details. :/ ... so do what I do... develop for Boom+ only!

Guest Wraithchilde
Shaviro said:

I always get it when i have too many details on the screen. I donno if its linedefs or Vertexes!?.

Maonth

I ran into this a lot when I used doom2.exe. This is how I think of it: visplane_overflow = too many visible planes. Sound idiotic? I think it's that simple really. Planes could be sidedefs, linedefs, floors, ceilings. That's my think on it.

Before ZDoom came out I had to put a wall up in the middle of the level to block out some of the visible planes. That worked, but ruined the level, really. So you can either run it with a source port or put up a wall. :)