Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ReX

WadAuthor & sector merging?

Does WadAuthor allow sector merging?

I was completely unaware of the concept of sector merging, especially as a way to reduce file size. Thanks to the 10-sector contest I've finally heard of this feature. Unfortunately, WadAuthor (which I use) does not seem to allow this. I have checked the help files, and tried all the menu options. I am working on several levels with sectors that have identical features/linedefs. Using sector merging would help to reduce the file sizes of these wads. Btw, I'm using WadAuthor in native ZDooM editing mode.

No, as I know :(
I have merge them manually (i.e. on linedef's level).

Guest Fanatic

I don't think you can merge two sectors. You can merge verticies, which just connects the linedefs to a single point.

DOOM can only use one sector at a time from a birds eye view of the map in an editor, unless you use EDGE's extrafloors or RoR DOOM, but that's completely different, and the contest uses BOOM as the engine.

It sounds like you are trying to make a sector, then split it up to use in different areas of the level (like taking a sheet of glass, then breaking it up to spread around).

What exactly are you trying to do?

You have to do this at the linedef level. Let's say you have two sectors 0, 1. Select all the linedefs for sector 1; in the linedef properties dialog change the sector reference from 1 to 0. Now the two sectors have the same ID number.

blod said:

No, as I know :(
I have merge them manually (i.e. on linedef's level).

Didn't see your post Blod. Yeah, you're right. You have to manually change the linedef sector ids. Bit of a pain that's for sure.

Fanatic said:

I don't think you can merge two sectors. You can merge verticies, which just connects the linedefs to a single point.

DOOM can only use one sector at a time from a birds eye view of the map in an editor, unless you use EDGE's extrafloors or RoR DOOM, but that's completely different, and the contest uses BOOM as the engine.

It sounds like you are trying to make a sector, then split it up to use in different areas of the level (like taking a sheet of glass, then breaking it up to spread around).

What exactly are you trying to do?

What I was hoping to do was use the sector merge feature to reduce the number of sectors and the file size. In an earlier post, Fen Boi said that he had used sector merging to "cut the number of sectors from 180+ to nearer 70 and the file size from 114kb to 85kb".

For instance, in one of my levels there are a number of offices with identical furniture (desks, chairs, filing cabinets, book cases, computers, etc.) If I can assign the same sector number to the identical items then the file size could be significantly reduced.

Anyhow, thanks to all of you for your input. It seems that changing the linedef sector reference is the way to go in WadAuthor.