Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
kain

ok now wtf??

Why doesnt someone make a port or make an existing port better and make it so it uses different types of image files??? it would look better intead of that pixilated shit u cant recognize up close!!! doom64 is a good example of the kind of doom i like. please some one do this!!! It would be soo cool if u could use jpeg images for gif cus gif format sux!!! oah and make more frames for rockets. like a frame for different degrees like a pic for 45o and so on.
soory for my typing, im half asleep

Guest litendavid

hei, pixelated ROX! ;)

What?

First off, JPEGS are the worst quality images you'll probably find anywhere. Secondly, you load bitmaps (true images) into Doom, not GIFS, unless you are using some software from early '95 or before.

I think it would be cool to have ports be able to suppose higher resolution textures, i.e. a 256x256 BIGDOOR2 texture and the like.

We were gonna do that 16-way sprite angling (instead of 8) for the new monsters + stuff in Millennium but went against that for the final cut.

I agree. I think it's about time for higher resolution textures and 16 or even 32 bit color depth support in Doom ports. At least for the Opengl accelerated ones anyway.

Doesn't edge have 16 bit color? If you don't want pixellation, then use a gl port. This is a result of the renderer not the graphics format.

... if the original images is in 8bit, 16bits only affects stuff like transparency and lightning, and if the images are small and has to be resized up you *will* end up in hand sized pixels even on the best 3d card ....

Wildman said:

Doesn't edge have 16 bit color? If you don't want pixellation, then use a gl port. This is a result of the renderer not the graphics format.

Edge does have 16-bit color but it seems to mess up the graphics, like with Fanatic's "Ruins" level, those grey rock textures appear green-ish in 16-bit, as opposed to darker grey.

But I still use the 16-bit anyways :)

GL Ports only change the up-close pixellation to bluriness. Either way, the final result is still low-res.

That detail-scaling would work well on monsters too - I think somebody said Duke 3D had this feature (never played it so I wouldn't know) where they had half-size monsters along with full-size ones that used only one set of sprites.

Doom uses a format similar to bmp for storage of images. JPEG is far too lossy for decent quality images. And don't instruct people what to do, if you think a feature should be included in doom, code it yourself!

Guest Fanatic
Lüt said:

Edge does have 16-bit color but it seems to mess up the graphics, like with Fanatic's "Ruins" level, those grey rock textures appear green-ish in 16-bit, as opposed to darker grey.

But I still use the 16-bit anyways :)

GL Ports only change the up-close pixellation to bluriness. Either way, the final result is still low-res.

That detail-scaling would work well on monsters too - I think somebody said Duke 3D had this feature (never played it so I wouldn't know) where they had half-size monsters along with full-size ones that used only one set of sprites.

EDGE can do 16bit output, and have had plans for 16bit input for some time as well. It'll be there eventually, but it's one of the bigger changes planned.

I think the issue with 16bit causing textures to mis-color is more because of the lighting method of DOOM (the fading black). It kind of flattens stuff out.

Lüt said:

Yeah, that's true. I guess you'd have to go with mipmaps or something similiar.

litendavid said:

hei, pixelated ROX! ;)

yay!! I hadn't seen your post bro!