Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest DammitBeavis

DDF question stuff

Guest DammitBeavis

How do you use a tracker type attack? I've tried to make an archvile-like weapon, but it always throws me back to dos when it hits something. Has anybody ever made a working one, or something?

Guest DammitBeavis

I was also wondering if you could take away the 50 bullets you start with.

Guest Fanatic

Are you using EDGE 1.24?

What is the error?

Guest Fanatic
DammitBeavis said:

I was also wondering if you could take away the 50 bullets you start with.

Edit THINGS.DDF/OUR_HERO, change the entry for:

INITIAL_BENEFIT=BULLETS.LIMIT(200),SHELLS.LIMIT(50),
ROCKETS.LIMIT(50),CELLS.LIMIT(300),
BULLETS(50);

...to fit what you want. (change BULLETS(50); to 10 or remove the entry altogether to start with zero)

Guest DammitBeavis
Fanatic said:

Are you using EDGE 1.24?

What is the error?

Alright, now I'm confused... more than usuall. I'm trying to make a clone of the arch-vile attack, that the player can use. I can't remember exactly what I did to it to make it kick me out to dos, I think there was some action I put in the place of TRACKERACTIVE, probably EXPLOSIONDAMAGE. This time I just copied the arch-viles attack exactly and added an attack range, so right now it just lights the enemy on fire, but does no damage. I am using EDGE 1.24, so far this is the only thing that completly blows my mind.

Guest Fanatic

If you use the actual damage code, it may require line of sight. So if you shoot a monster, it starts tracking, and you look away, the target is lost. The code may not work for player views. I know it may have using DeHackEd, but EDGE doesn't work the same way.

Send me your code (or post it here) so I can reproduce what you have and see if I can get it to work.

You could also use plain explosiondamage where it would normally cause damage too, that shouldn't crash.

Guest DammitBeavis

[PLAYER_TRACK]
ATTACKTYPE=TRACKER;
RADIUS=20;
HEIGHT=16;
DAMAGE=20;
ATTACKRANGE=1024;
EXPLOD_DAMAGE=70;
ATTEMPT_SOUND=VILATK;
ENGAGED_SOUND=BAREXP;
ATTACK_SPECIAL=FACE_TARGET;
TRANSLUCENCY=0.8;

STATES(SPAWN)=FIRE:A:2:BRIGHT:TRACKERSTART,
FIRE:B:2:BRIGHT:TRACKERFOLLOW,
FIRE:A:2:BRIGHT:TRACKERFOLLOW,
FIRE:C:2:BRIGHT:explosiondamage,
FIRE:C:2:BRIGHT:TRACKERFOLLOW,
FIRE:D:2:BRIGHT:TRACKERFOLLOW,
FIRE:E:2:BRIGHT:TRACKERFOLLOW,
FIRE:E:2:BRIGHT:explosiondamage,
FIRE:F:2:BRIGHT:TRACKERFOLLOW,
FIRE:G:2:BRIGHT:TRACKERFOLLOW,
FIRE:H:2:BRIGHT:TRACKERFOLLOW,
FIRE:G:2:BRIGHT:TRACKERFOLLOW,
FIRE:H:2:BRIGHT:TRACKERFOLLOW,
#REMOVE;

That's what I have on it right now. The explosiondamage works, but not in the same way. This way it works like a barrel being spawned over the enemy, then explodes again to kill the surrounding enemys. I just gave that attack to the pistol, since I don't have a graphic yet. I just want it to be as close to the archviles attack as possible, but if this is as good as it gets, that's fine.

Guest Fanatic

What's the weapon entry you're using?

I tried using this attack to replace the chaingun and plasma gun, and it just doesn't do anything at all.

I also have a problem:

My etherreal blasts that are supposed to travel across the floor aren't working right.

They are supposed to "slide" across the floor and move just like any other entity, but even with the "slide" tag, they still explode on the floor (but do slide on walls).

Another thing is that they go striaght through enemies w/o impacting. I have them set to do 150 damage at maximum but they will kill a cyberdemon with 1 hit (who has 6500 health here).

Also, I have the weapon set to shoot out 1 attack, and eject 2 others like it (travelling at angles). They have no accuracy_slope or slope_offset but one of the attacks goes abit high on one side whereas the other two are perfectly fine.

This attack is supposed to work like the green blasts El Oscurito shot out in ROTT when you hit him with a flamewall.

I have checked and re-checked the code and there is no problem with it. This may be a bug having to do with too much code inside a ddf because I remember back to when ::gasp:: dosdoom did it, and the problem may have not been fixed (due to lack of finding it).

Guest Fanatic

Slide doesn't do what you'd expect. It just makes things not explode when they hit a wall (I think DOOM only used it for the Skull attack, so when they hit a wall after launching themselves they don't die).

Check out the bounce entries, you should be able to make it slide (low bounce and no friction). Something like that should work.

Guest DammitBeavis
Fanatic said:

What's the weapon entry you're using?

I tried using this attack to replace the chaingun and plasma gun, and it just doesn't do anything at all.

I just slaped that attack on the normal pistol, I didn't make anything special. Has a tracker attack ever been put on a weapon and worked? I just don't understand them. I know I read an explanation of what trackeractive, and trackerfollow do, but I can't remember where. It was probably in the documentation, but I can't find it anymore. Marijuana affects memory...

Fanatic said:

Edit THINGS.DDF/OUR_HERO, change the entry for:

INITIAL_BENEFIT=BULLETS.LIMIT(200),SHELLS.LIMIT(50),
ROCKETS.LIMIT(50),CELLS.LIMIT(300),
BULLETS(50);

...to fit what you want. (change BULLETS(50); to 10 or remove the entry altogether to start with zero)

Can I change how much health the player starts with as well?

Guest DammitBeavis
sirgalahadwizar said:

hmmm, I see two explosiondamage in the frames... perhaps this is the problem

(im seeing double, double, double-vison...)

What I don't like about explosiondamage is the splash damage that goes along with it, and you don't get that cool effect of knocking the enemy up in the air. I don't understand why there are two trackeractive thingys in the archviles attack when it does damage once. What I've been trying to do is make a weapon for every enemy's attack, then have the enemy's drop their weapon. A trooper would drop a pistol, cyberdemon would drop a rocket launcher, and so forth. I have good weapons for all three zombie guys (that was easy), Imp, mancubus, arachnotron, cyberdemon, revenant, spider mastermind, even a lost soul spawner for the pain elemental. I don't know how I would get graphics for the rest, and some I don't even know what to do with, like the plain old demon. Oh well, I'm just screwing around anyway.

Guest Fanatic
DammitBeavis said:

I just slaped that attack on the normal pistol, I didn't make anything special. Has a tracker attack ever been put on a weapon and worked? I just don't understand them. I know I read an explanation of what trackeractive, and trackerfollow do, but I can't remember where. It was probably in the documentation, but I can't find it anymore. Marijuana affects memory...

Dunno. I can't get it to shoot anything here, except if I change it to a projectile, but then it doesn't work right at all.

Guest Fanatic
sirgalahadwizar said:

Can I change how much health the player starts with as well?

Yeah, should be pretty obvious :).

SPAWNHEALTH=100;

Change that.

Guest Fanatic

Looks like a defect. I'll submit it as a bug to the team.

Guest Fanatic

Changing player health is fixed in EDGE 1.25.