• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Malice Rancor

Violation?

So what exactly does this mean anyways

"signal_handler(): segment violation"

I get this message with one of my wads, which has no special features. The only ports that will run it are Zdoom, Smmu & Mbf.
Was just Mbf originally, but I used better nodes builder and also used cleanwad.

Guest Fanatic

Probab;y a feature or problem in your level that the noted source ports tolerate or have fixed (like a bug).

If you want to send it to me via email, I could check it out and see if I can find what's wrong.

Ummm... this is a bit of a long shot, but I think I had a similar error when I had a floor of about 40 and a ceiling of 10000-ish.

It may be the old Doom2 engine just not liking some ceiling/floor difference. That could be the problem. If you don`t have any large ceilings/low floors then sorry, I`m pretty much a newbie here, but it`s just a suggestion.

Heh, Im a newbie too at this, I been at it for 3 months now.
Ya I think your only aloud 1023 differance. I do have a floor that exceeds that limit, but only if I start at the begining of the stage and cross the trigger that I set up to lower the floor past the limit.

A segmentation violation occurs when a program attempts to access memory outside the segment its currently executing in. Basically either there is a bug in the source port you are using, or your wad is bad (for instance, try running a wad without the nodes built and I can guarantee you you'll get a segv). In the realm of comsci a real program would never segv on any input, but in the real world, things are more messy.

Bad sidedefs and shoddy node builds are among the top two causes of segv because of wad errors.

Malice Rancor said:

Heh, Im a newbie too at this, I been at it for 3 months now.
Ya I think your only aloud 1023 differance. I do have a floor that exceeds that limit, but only if I start at the begining of the stage and cross the trigger that I set up to lower the floor past the limit.

Actually DOOM ports should be able to allow up to a 16384-unit separation between the floor and the ceiling, but BOOM-derived ports are known to have a problem in an assembly module that can inconsistently cause a segmentation violation on separations >10000. Hopefully someone will fix this; I'd do it but I don't know x86 assembly (dammit where are you Lee? :)