Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Malice Rancor

8bit Wav2Mid

Ok I needed a few new sounds in my first PC project, so I downloaded them and they were in .WAV format. So I got a Wav2Midi converter so that I could use the Mid2Mus to put it in my Wad. Only prob is that all the Wav2Mid that I have downloaded only works with 16bit .Wav, and all the .Wav that I can find is in 8bit. Anyone know of a Wav2Mid that is for 8bit .Wav?

Guest Fanatic

You can't convert WAV files to MIDI files.

What are you trying to do with the sound samples?

A typical WAV file used in DOOM is 11k 8bit, so the format you have is probably ok and ready to be imported to a WAD file for use.

actually, there is software that analyses the frequencies in a .wad file and then tries to find out the notes.. although it often (if not allways) only work with solo's of clear instruments no, harmony or suff like that. but basically i have to agree.. bad idea indeed ;)

ok.. here's the deal, if its sound effects (gun sounds etc) just use wintex to import them.

if it's music, you'll have to convert them to mp3's and put those into the wad.

the original doom programs can only handle 8bit 11khz sound files and *not* mp3's for music.

many sourceports though handles any format of sfx and mp3 as music.

:)

Fanatic said:

You can't convert WAV files to MIDI files.

What are you trying to do with the sound samples?

A typical WAV file used in DOOM is 11k 8bit, so the format you have is probably ok and ready to be imported to a WAD file for use.

I downloaded a zip file full of them from a teletubbies website, im going to use them for the teles that im trying to draw.

Like when you fire the BFG it says "Time for Tele bye bye"

Guest Cybersquirrel
bitstate said:

actually, there is software that analyses the frequencies in a .wad file and then tries to find out the notes.. although it often (if not allways) only work with solo's of clear instruments no, harmony or suff like that. but basically i have to agree.. bad idea indeed ;)

If there is software to convert WAVs to MIDs I want it. Where do I get it from?

i think http://www.maz-sound.de has some wav to note program or something like that, i can't image why anyone would need it as the use of such programs are *very* limited.

to possibly spare people from alot of work and no reasult let me state this once and for all, you *cannot* take a .wav file containg "normal" music and expect a program to render a midi file of it.. it's simply not possible.

what might be possible would be to take a wav file containg a sequence of notes (not containg two or more notes simultainious) and get the frequency of the notes playing and the time, but don't expect more.

some cool proggies exist though, i have for instance a program that analyses my .wav sample files containing instruments and then tunes them all to a C, works most of the time actually :)