Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest prets

saving multiple maps in wad

Guest prets

how do u save multiple maps in the same wad thru wadauthor?

Guest Fanatic

Hmmm, I don't think you can. I don't see anything that allows you to at least.

You can always use Wintex to merge the maps together in one WAD (that's how I do it).

Actually, I had the same question a long time ago. WadAuthor does NOT allow a user to merge maps into a single wad. As Fanatic suggests, use WinTex to merge your maps into a single wad file. If you're using zdoom-specific features, do the wad-merge step FIRST, before you've created your maps or converted them to zdoom format. WinTex will screw up the merge if your maps have zdoom- specific features. As an example, I made a set of zdoom maps individually and then unsuccessfully tried to merge them in WinTex. To fix this problem I had to create dummy maps without zdoom features, merge them in WinTex, convert the combined wad file using zwadconv.exe, and cut and paste my zdoom maps into the appropriate dummy maps. A BIG PAIN. Refer to my post:
http://www.doomworld.com/forums/editing/messages/10349.shtml

Do the following to avoid this hassle:

1. Say you want to create 5 maps that you want to merge into a single wad file. Create 5 dummy maps (e.g., square room with default parameters) in WadAuthor or map editor of your choice. Make sure you re-number the maps so that they are not the same (i.e., so that you don't have five Map01).
2. Merge them into a single wad file using WinTex.
3. Use zwadconv.exe to convert the single wad file into zdoom format.
4. Edit each level of your wad file in native zdoom format.

Hope this helps.

There are also easier ways. To group (ZDooM) maps I use ZETH:
zeth -file blah1.wad blah2.wad blah3.wad
this will load all the wads in ZETH
then, in ZETH, go to the command line and type
g megabla.wad
this will group all loaded wads in a single wad.

Guest prets

zeth u say?
why, oh why did i delete zeth after D/Ling wad author???
I kew i should've kept it!
Damn

I hate wintex, anyway (damned thing doesn't seem to work properly on my machine), so i'll give zeth a try

I always create all of my maps seperately and then merge them together using Wintex.