Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JohnnyAlmighty

Does anyone know ALL the games that use a WAD file??

Doom. Doom II. Ultimate Doom. Final Doom. Hacx. Strife. Chex Quest. Heretic. Hexen. Duke Nukem (IIRC it uses wad files for the duke talk sound effects). Quake (textures). Quake II? (same as Quake?)

Rise of the Triad uses the wad format apparently. This file from 3D Realms which describes the ROTT file format confirms that it was used with permission from id.

Tomb Raider also seems to use some files with a .wad extension but these don't appear to be the same format (although I haven't looked into it too closely).

Half-Life uses wads for textures ala Quake.

I believe the Quake .wad files are similar to Doom's .wads, but the format has been altered slightly, and are known as wad2.

Also, WinTEX has support for Graphics WADs from Quake, although this seems to be limited to the wad in QTest, if you have it and certain WADs within other PAK files (Off the top of my head, Zerstorer is such an example).

If there's a certain graphic in a Quake (1) PAK you wish to use, give it a try, or use DeePSea to browse directly into the level BSPs for graphics.

IIRC Transport Tycoon (cool game :) had files with .wad extension. I have no clue if it's the same format as Doom's, though.