Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest FRAGG

POLL: "My Favorite Editor" ....give reasons

Guest FRAGG

It will be a big help if you Wad-building "Veterans" (anyone who successfully built more than 2 or 3 Maps) will name your "Favorite Editor" --- and "WHY" it's your favorite.
This "POLL" Thread will then be a great "Reference Help" for newbys to read, now and in future. Most of us are looking for the "easiest-to-use" Map Editor. For example, I'm looking for a Windows Editor that'll do a lot of the dirty work, while I'm learning the ropes.
Also -- any "pet hates" you have against certain Editors -- and WHY you hate them. (That'll make this Thread "useful" to veterans also).
Thanks for any "advice/info", no matter how small it is. All comments are most welcome.
So, all of you "Map Veterans" --- please VOTE NOW.

If I could use Wauther then it would be my favorite, cause

1.You can see what the textures looks like without selecting the name
2.You can choose to use an external nodes builder, like warm.
3.It's got unlimited undo feature
4.I like its GUI
5.I also like that you can include images from within the current
document or an external wadfile

I hate Windeu, because it screws up constantly.
I don't like the limited features of Doomcad. I don't think it can undo either.

Malice Rancor said:

3.It's got unlimited undo feature

Unlimited undo does not work on void space (e.g., pillars) that you create within regular sectors. If you create two pillars one after the other, and want to undo the pillars, only the second pillar will be deleted. When you continue, and try to undo the first pillar you'll get a message that says "Undo Operation Fails". You'll have to manually select the linedefs of the first pillar and delete them.

Here is the entire text of my post on October 10 to a similar question:

"I know a little about WadAuthor, as it's the editor I've been using for a year and a half.

Pros:
You start out creating sectors -- no need to create lines, join vertices, assign sector and sidedef attributes, etc. In my opinion this saves some time, as most space in maps is typically occupied by sectors rather than linedefs. Moreover, if you have a need to create a linedef, WadAuthor allows it (albeit after you have created a sector first).

Copying/cutting & pasting is relatively easy. Simply select your sectors, things, etc. with your mouse, and copy/cut/paste away. (A word of caution when selecting irregular shaped sectors, or if there are nearby sectors that you do not want to copy -- make sure you have not accidentally included stray vertices in your selection, or WadAuthor will crash when you paste.)

Features automatic texture alignment (after you have selected your linedefs). This saves a lot of time and the hassle of figuring out the correct offsets.

Sector motifs. WadAuthor allow you to create sector motifs that you can use as defaults when creating maps. For example, if you want to create a base-style map, you can select textures, flats, and other attributes that reflect a base style and save it as a motif. Then, every time you want to create a sector, your default motif will be used.

Cons:
Very occasionally, Wadauthor will do weird things. In the first map that I ever created, I was building a complex star-shaped structure. WadAuthor created an invisible barrier nearby. It did not show up as a linedef either in the editor or in the map mode of DooM. I read that such lines are sometime created near complicated-shaped sectors, and are not unique to any given editor. (To rectify this problem, create a dummy sector in the vicinity of the invisible line. The barrier disappears.)

In the third map that I created, I was building a huge circular area with lava. In the middle was a circular island. When I first created the island (with nothing else on it), I could not stand on the floor of the island -- I sank to the level of the surrounding lava. However, once I created additional sectors (such as a parapet wall around the island) the problem went away. Again, it was probably due to the complex circular area (too many linedefs).

In a couple of maps that I have created, sector heights were magically transformed into those of adjacent sectors. Clearly an undesirable aspect of the editor. However, I discovered that this problem generally occurred after a copy/paste operation where the front and back orientation of linedefs got screwed up. This can be a huge pain, and I generally scrap that version of my map and go back to an earlier saved version.

Bottom Line: WadAuthor is an excellent editor, with a few idiosyncracies. If you're careful, you can avoid those problems."

I also want to add that WadAuthor is very stable, and almost never crashes (unless you try to copy and paste those pesky stray vertices). The Windows-type GUI is familiar, and so are the controls.

There were a few clarifications, namely that the problems I cited were most likely because of node-building problems rather that deficiencies inherent in the editor itself. Also, note that the features of WadAuthor may not be unique to WadAuthor. The makers of DeepSea (SBSoftware, www.sbsoftware.com ) point out that their editor has many of WadAuthor's features, but are just named differently. (I've used Deep 97, an earlier version of DeepSea, and it's a very good editor too.) Read the rest of the discussion thread at:

http://www.doomworld.com/forums/editing/messages/10381.shtml

Guest Fanatic

DOOMCad 5.1 (DOOM2 only).

It's old and buggy, but it does stuff I need.

-line based, draw your sectors
-remove sector references to linedefs, reassign/redraw to assign to different sectors
-easy to use thing editor (type/placement/direction/flags)
-3D wireframe preview
-prefabs
-save and reuse prefabs you make yourself
-group select verticies to drag and drop entire map sections

The bad things are no texture viewer, but I just use Wintex to look at textures at the same time, and deleting lines and sectors is buggy. I use WADST (WAD Studio) to clean unused lines and sectors tho, so no biggie.

It's not an easy editor, I think, takes a lot of patience and a lot of laying out verticies and drawing lines to make sectors, but I like it that way. I get to fine tune everything just the way I want as I go.

Hellmaker, by MILES. It is so much better than any dos/windows editor it is not even funny. It simply gets everything _right_ that all other editors do wrong. It's by far the most intuitive editor. Only downside is that you have to make the effort to get a mac emulator running, which is a pain (or maybe you have real mac, in which case I don't wanna talk to you ;)

Oh, if you are not scared of programming, WadC of course 0wn0rs all of em.

Oh and if you HAVE to use a "normal" editor under windows, nothing beats WadEd for actual line/sector creation. Use something else for texturing, as this is WadEd's weak point.

Guest FRAGG
ReX said:

Unlimited undo does not work on void space (e.g., pillars) that you create within regular sectors. If you create two pillars one after the other, and want to undo the pillars, only the second pillar will be deleted. When you continue, and try to undo the first pillar you'll get a message that says "Undo Operation Fails". You'll have to manually select the linedefs of the first pillar and delete them.

Thanks to All for the detailed replies.
(I read the Oct 10 thread as was suggested).
Wadauthor looks good for newbys.

Questions:
(1) How does DCK fare in "ease of use" dept? It can build an entire Sector at once, right?
(2) Some people say DeepSea for Windows has tough learning curve. I wonder if they're talking about "mastering the ENTIRE editor" (i.e. ALL of its tons of features)?
Or do they mean Deepsea has a tough learning curve "right from the start", just learning to use its basic features?
All further opinions about Editors 'ease-of-use' will be very helpful, narrowing down the number of editors I'll try out. Thanks again.

Guest FRAGG
Aardappel said:

Hellmaker, by MILES. It is so much better than any dos/windows editor it is not even funny. It simply gets everything _right_ that all other editors do wrong. It's by far the most intuitive editor. Only downside is that you have to make the effort to get a mac emulator running, which is a pain (or maybe you have real mac, in which case I don't wanna talk to you ;)

Hellmaker Editor? Never heard of it. Thanks for that new info. Hellmaker is now on the "POLL" list.

Guest Lament
Aardappel said:

umm, what is WadC?
link in yuur siggy doesn't work