Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Malice Rancor

Sound for torches

How do you give a object an action sound, and then make it use it. I'm trying to do this with a torch, but it seems that objects won't use these sounds unless they are assigned monster
frames or something. Like I can make a keycard into an enemie
and it will use the sounds of that monster, but is there another
and way to do this?

Guest Fanatic

Depends on how you are implementing it.

With Dehacked, give the thing a wake up sound, and force the wake up frames to loop (forcing it to wake up over and over again, hence making a sort of loop), but you'll need to use a monsters wake up/idle frames or find a way to reassign the code pointers to call correctly.

In ZDOOM, use ACS.

In EDGE, use DDF.

Changing codepointers sounds like a good way, I just need to learn how. I seen the codepointer list, but it just doesn't seem to add up when I compare it to the list of frames in Dehacked.

Guest Fanatic

I just use frames of a monster I don't want to use in the game, or some frames of something else that I won't use that has code pointers I can swap out.

If you don't plan on using the Archvile, the frames 281-310 will give you quite a lot of frames to change around, since they all have code pointers.

Just make sure the frames loop for the torch graphics, and that the sound is as long as the loop, or close to it (otherwise it will cut off the sound midway if too short, or will leave silence if too long).

Fanatic said:

Depends on how you are implementing it.

With Dehacked, give the thing a wake up sound, and force the wake up frames to loop (forcing it to wake up over and over again, hence making a sort of loop), but you'll need to use a monsters wake up/idle frames or find a way to reassign the code pointers to call correctly.

In ZDOOM, use ACS.

In EDGE, use DDF.

ACS has nothing to do with sprites :)

In ZDoom, there is a lump that you can insert into your WAD called SNDINFO that lets you create ambient sound thing types, that are simply invisible sprites that produce a sound.

It's pretty comprehensive in that you can make the sound constant or random, define how often it plays and various other things.

NiGHTMARE said:

ACS has nothing to do with sprites :)

Actually, this is incorrect. Use the thingsound function in a loop to make a thing emit a sound.

thingsound(tid, name, volume)

Fanatic said:

I just use frames of a monster I don't want to use in the game, or some frames of something else that I won't use that has code pointers I can swap out.

If you don't plan on using the Archvile, the frames 281-310 will give you quite a lot of frames to change around, since they all have code pointers.

Just make sure the frames loop for the torch graphics, and that the sound is as long as the loop, or close to it (otherwise it will cut off the sound midway if too short, or will leave silence if too long).

Also, the Wolfenstein SS soldier is good to use, because they really don't fit in too well with Doom and so there are not many people who would ever use one in their levels.

I decdided to turn some items that I wasn't using in the game, into monsters that can't move. I gave them the sound of wind, fire, screams, etc...