Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest FRAGG

Wildman's

Guest FRAGG

Thanks to ReX for the following info.........
Rick "Wild Man" Clark has a "WADAUTHOR BASICS: CREATING COMPLEX SECTORS" section in his ZDooM tutorial. You can find it at ZDoom Tech Page: http://zdoom.notgod.com/zdhtech /

I downloaded and studied it. Only 13 pages long --- but in those 13 pages he shows you how to build a "really complex object" (it looks something like a glorified telephone booth). He says when you finish building this complex thingy, "you'll be able to build anything you want". His "step-by-step" instructions are crystal clear. This little tutor might be worth a look if you're messing around with ZDoom n' WadAuthor.

My only problem was I have to build it strictly by the printed tutorial. Why? Altho I have Doom2 v1.9, I can't run the tiny 5k Wad ("mjwad") included with tutor. This Wad lets you (in Doom) walk up to the "complex object" and study it from all angles. Neat!
WadAuthor won't run it, saying something like "this wad requires a different configuration file". Being a newby, I have no idea what that means or how to correct it. The included ".txt" File says nothing on the subject.
But -- no big problem. I'm building from the printed Tutor itself. Building the object involves learning many principles (but fortunately, Wildman really knows how to teach).
So thanks again ReX, for pointing it out.
FRAGG

FRAGG said:

Altho I have Doom2 v1.9, I can't run the tiny 5k Wad ("mjwad") included with tutor. WadAuthor won't run it, saying something like "this wad requires a different configuration file".

I don't remember exactly, but I believe mjwad is a ZDooM-specific level. As such, it will not run in the basic DooM2 configuration of WadAuthor. You have 2 options:

1. Download and install ZDooM (zdoom.notgod.com) and run mjwad. You still wouldn't have solved the problem of not being able to open the wad in WadAuthor, but at least you'll see what the level looks like.

2. Configure WadAuthor to edit and run in native ZDooM mode (not recommended if you simply want to study the mjwad file). Rick's tutorials also tell you how to configure WadAuthor for ZDooM.

why you can't run that wad it's because you need to convert the old doom2.wad to another with all zdoom stuffs.
after that you'll be ok

Thank you so much for you kind words. I am glad the tutorials are still being useful. If you haven't figured this out yet:

The error you got in WadAuthor means that you didn't have the zdoom.wcf file loaded when you tried to load the sample wad. ZDoom uses a modified Hexen format and you have to load the zdoom.wcf file (configuration file) since the wad is different than normal Doom.

You select the config file from the File menu before you have loaded any wad file. HTH.