Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jayextee

Episodal Doom2 - possible?

Is it possible to do an episode-based Doom2 WAD that works with ALL sourceports.
Basically, the levels taking the form ExMy, but have the Doom2 monsters, textures etc.

This may actually help with my project, at my site (Below, check my sig)

I made an unreleased add-on a couple of years ago for Doom 1 that replaced the chaingun guy, and it worked fine (although I might have been using Boom rather than the original .exe).

You should be able to use Doom 2 enemies in Doom 1 if you make a WAD that has all the sprites and make sure you're using v1.9 of the .exe (doom.exe and doom2.exe v1.9 are pretty much identical).

Then it's just a matter of copying in all the Doom 2 textures you want to use as well.

The exe files used in Laz Rojas's conversions of Wolf3d, the Nocturnal Missions and Spear of Destiny are based off Boom 2.02 and have episodes. Might wanna investigate that. Someone made those exe's for him. Download the stuff and contact the guy who made the executables. While you at it play Laz's other stuff, if you haven't already!

NiGHTMARE said:

I made an unreleased add-on a couple of years ago for Doom 1 that replaced the chaingun guy, and it worked fine (although I might have been using Boom rather than the original .exe).

You should be able to use Doom 2 enemies in Doom 1 if you make a WAD that has all the sprites and make sure you're using v1.9 of the .exe (doom.exe and doom2.exe v1.9 are pretty much identical).

Then it's just a matter of copying in all the Doom 2 textures you want to use as well.

I tried something similar a while back, but I found although I could get doom1 to use doom2 codepointers frames and graphics etc using dehacked, I couldn't get it to use doom2 things directly (placed into a map using their thing numbers) even if I had included all the required lumps to make the thing exist.

This was a while ago, and I don't even remember if it was vanilla doom or a source port. Just be aware someone has at least tried this and failed, some of the source ports may allow it however.