Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest s999cop

Need specific steps for changing sky, please?

Guest s999cop

Need specific steps for changing sky, please?

would anyone explain and tell the directions about changing skies? please, and umm...can i use other pic from somewhere as my sky?

Just put a patch in your .wad called SKY1, SKY2 or SKY3 (for Doom 1 - you can also use SKY4 if you have the Ultimate Doom) or RSKY1, RSKY2 or RSKY3 (for Doom 2), and make sure it's 256 pixels wide and at least 128 pixels high.

You can have two or four 256 wide patches in a sky texture if you want, but having just one is much more simple, as you don't have to edit TEXTURE1.

Changing skies is very much like changing any other graphic in DooM.

1. Open up WinTex and load the wad in which you want to insert the new sky.

2. Add the patch for your sky. I.e., Select, Patches, then go to Edit, Load Entry From File, then type in, say, RSKY1 (this replaces the first sky texture in DooM2). If you want to replace the second sky (i.e., for Maps 12 through 20) then type in RSKY2. The third sky is RSKY3.

3. WinTex prompts you to locate the patch. Once you've selected the patch simply click on the Okay button and your patch is in your wad. Make sure your patch is in bitmap format (.bmp) and is 128*256 size. If the patch is larger then you've got more work ahead, but I won't go into that.

When you use original DooM2 patch names (such as RSKY1) that replace the entire texture, you don't need to go back into the texture edit mode of WinTex and do any more. The patch automatically replaces the entire portion of the texture. If you have your own patch name, then you need to go do more work. Again, I won't go into that.

To find new skies, look through the graphics directory in the DooM2 folder in cdrom.com. If you want taller skies (i.e., 240*256) then an excellent place to get them is:

http://members.xoom.com/zerosignum

Stian Skjondal (zsignal@organizer.net) has created fantastic skyscapes in skypack1.wad, skypack2.wad, and skypack3.wad, and they're downloadable at that site.

A note of caution. These taller skies need to be manipulated in a program such as DeePSea, and can only be viewed in ZDooM. Until you're comfortable with editing textures, I suggest you stick with 128*256 skies.