Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest jerkhammer

Wad is crashing. Am I screwed?

Guest jerkhammer

I've been working on a new level for a while now (using WadAuthor), and odd things are beginning to happen. At certain points it will lock up Doom95 (after which hitting Esc will exit from the game), and in ZDoom some of the monsters are waking up at inappropriate times. I've run the sector/linedef checks with WinDeu and there are no open sectors, etc (there are currently 709 sectors and 4060 linedefs).

Are there any other utilities available for finding problems within a wad? For that matter, does this sound like a problem that can be located and fixed, or am I just stuck with a partially screwed up wad? I'd be eternally grateful for any suggestions.

The monsters waking up problem in ZDoom is a ZDoom bug and nothing to do with your level.

Doom '95 is just crap.

Guest jerkhammer

My concern with the Doom95 crashing problem was that my friends and I use Doom95 exclusively for co-op games, and I've never had much of a stability problem with it.

I was hoping that I'd be able to run this level without having to use a source port.

Wadauthor has better error checking than Windeu. Wadauthor has it's problems, but it's error checking is quite good. Like Nightmare said, the problem with monsters waking up in ZDoom is a problem with ZDoom itself. I find that building a proper reject table sometimes fixes it.
You really should consider switching to one of the available source ports. They are all much better than Doom95. In every way.

Guest jerkhammer

Usually when my friends and I play co-op it's with two computers over a serial cable. We've used Boom in a co-op serial game, but we were barely able to complete a single level because of frequent crashes. That's pretty much the reason I've been sticking with Doom95, but I'd be more inclined to blame my friend's laptop than Boom for the problems. As for my wad, the savegame buffer overflows with Doom95, though the crashing problem seems to have magically disappeared.

I don't have anything against the source ports, in fact I love playing co-op over the internet with ZDoom. However, I feel (and I can't be the only one who thinks this) that Doom is about as close to a perfect game as you can get, even with its flaws. If you gave the Mona Lisa bigger jugs, I don't think it would widely be considered an improvement. But from a technical standpoint I'd have to agree that the source ports are the way to go.

Guest pickle_hammer

Get offa my name, jyrk!