Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ViperBoy

Cool flying gibs... how !?! (in Edge)

I'm making this cool mod for Doom 2 and I just can't figure out how to make cool gibs (like the ones in Duke Nukem 3D) I need them to:

- appear when a monster is gibbed
- be animated when flying, and emit a sound and turn into a new picture when it hits the ground (if a brain is flying around it would look stupid if it doesn't collapse when it hits the ground)

Help will be greatly appreciated and the name of the person who helps me will be credited in the mod when it's published

Guest Fanatic

I did it in the QDOOM Public Test by calling a SPARE_ATTACK that's a triple spawner (calls the actual bouncing gibs, which is basically a skullfly attack with gravity on the spawned thing). It's a little complex because of the cross references, but that's how you can do it.

Fanatic:

I know that "CORPSE" makes an object dead. But what does it do exactly because it is in attacks.ddf as well (at least it works there)?

How would I make an attack fire two smaller attacks while travelling that will not target anything as soon as they are launched. I am making a fireball that shoots smaller fireballs directly to tth left and right and it keeps aiming for the player every time they launch (which is a bad thing in this case, they are supposed to go left and right so they will catch the player as he's trying to evade).

I already know how to make it fire left&right, but don't know how to make the damn thing keep firing straight left and right (the attacks rotate and it has an odd effect).

And why do sprites not fire the right way when you define accuracy variables greater than 90? (ie, accuracy_angle=90; accuracy_slope=90; - half of a sphere), they tend to go straight up at tremendous speed for some reason.

Guest Fanatic

CORPSE shouldn't be used anywhere but in THINGS.DDF. It doesn't do anything anywhere else (and should error actually).

CORPSE just makes a thing not block (you can walk right over or thru it).

The EDGE DDF and the QDOOM DDF don't have any CORPSE entries in anything but THINGS.DDF. Not sure where you are seeing it.

For the multiple attack, you might try a normal projectile attack for your main attack, and a spreader (like the Mancubus attack) for the other two. See if that works for you.

The accuracy values are angles, so you are telling it to fire at a 90 degree angle. Typical values are usually less than 20 degrees.

Thanks, I may be mistaken when it comes to the corpse bit, I copied the blood entry out of things and put it in attacks, I probably only copied the frames data.

My freball attack is supposed to continiously shoot fire directly to the left and right, but when firedat the player, and the player strafes out of the way, the "line" of fireballs is rotated (so that the line faces the player), and doesn't ever seem to hit him. To explain more clearly:

| - left/rightfireball
O - main fireball
--> direction

|
|
|
|
|
O -->
|
|
|
|
|

don't know how well that turned out.

The most explainable real example is that of a special attack a character from shadow warrior uses (some shadow ninja dude who casts lots of flame spells).

It is designed to catch the player if he tries to simply strafe (in effect shooting him a few times in the side).

Does the spreader attack lock onto a target once and not deviate from that trajectory in later attacks? (ie, will further fireballs try to face the player or will they keep firing in the direction the first one tried to fire in?, until a reset_spreader is called [which wont be used]).

I have set the angle_offset to 90 degrees and 270 degrees for the two fireball attacks.

My original trial used one preojectile that spawns two other projectiles while in it's idle state:
states(idle)=bal3:b:4:bright:nothing,
bal3:a:0:bright:spare_attack(flamer_left),
bal3:a:4:bright:spare_attack,
bal3:b:0:bright:spare_attack(flamer_left),
bal3:b:4:bright:spare_attack,#idle:2;

Guest Fanatic

The spreader attack works like all other projectiles. It just fires two projectiles at the same time spread apart by an angle.

Check the MANCUBUS entries for the examples.