Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
x8a7

Doom textures in Doom2

Hey, I have a handful of Doom levels which I'm trying to get ready to put on ftp.cdrom.com but I want them to be in Doom2, I used dm2conv and it worked very well, however I would really like to maintain a number of doom textures, is there any way to do this? eg. have doom textures in doom2. Thanks a ton.

I'm not familiar with how dm2conv works, but if the DooM textures didn't get copied into DooM2, the only way to do it is manually. In other words, use a graphics editor (such as WinTex or DeePSea) to copy and paste the desired DooM graphics into your DooM2 wad. Be careful that you do not copy the entire graphic resource from DooM -- in addition to being duplicative, you will create a huge file with unnecessarily wasted space. Also, Ty Halderman (the ftp archive maintainer for DooM) would probably reject your upload because you're including id copyrighted material.

Rex is correct, Ty will reject any level with "copyrighted" material that he "recognizes" (lol)- that includes original DOOMx IWAD material<Hint>

ReX said:

I'm not familiar with how dm2conv works, but if the DooM textures didn't get copied into DooM2, the only way to do it is manually. In other words, use a graphics editor (such as WinTex or DeePSea) to copy and paste the desired DooM graphics into your DooM2 wad. Be careful that you do not copy the entire graphic resource from DooM -- in addition to being duplicative, you will create a huge file with unnecessarily wasted space. Also, Ty Halderman (the ftp archive maintainer for DooM) would probably reject your upload because you're including id copyrighted material.

There is a texture WAD for DooM 2 that contains all the missing DooM 1 textures... Also WAD's with graphics from other Id games usually get released on cdrom.com just fine.

As I mentioned, if Ty "recognizes" it. Did Id release the rights to the DOOMx or QUAKEx graphics? Just read the reject list and it's clear Ty does try:))

SirRobin said:

There is a texture WAD for DooM 2 that contains all the missing DooM 1 textures... Also WAD's with graphics from other Id games usually get released on cdrom.com just fine.

Those graphics are usually modified in some fashion. Palette conversion, resizing, general touching up etc. AFAIK you are allowed to include modified sprites and patches in wads uploaded to cdrom.com, just not original unmodified ones.

For example there is many many DooM 2 levels with Episode 4 sky texture in cdrom.com and it's clearly even mentioned in in text file with words like "Sky from EP4"... I think that unmodified textures from DooM 1 in DooM 2 level will pass just fine.

Back when Doom 2 first came out, there was a file going around called DOOM1-2.WAD which contained all the "missing" textures from Doom 1 in it. I no longer have this file with me, it is on a CD with my father who lives bout 700 miles away. I haven't checked cdrom.com for this file, but there's a possibility it'll be on there (zipped of course).

Guest deathwarrior

i have doom1-2.wad