Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ReX

Anyone have a good moonscape sky texture?

Does anyone know of any good moonscape (i.e. moon-like mountains and craters under a night sky) for a sky texture? If it's 256*240 so much the better, but if not I can edit it to create a 256*240. I'm off to see if Wally will allow me to extract the moonscape sky from DN3D. Thanks.

Update: Wally worked fine, and I managed to get enough patches to create a spectacular 512*240 texture. Unfortunately, Wally can't read .grp files, so I had to rely on a Tiles+++.art file created as part of someone's graphics add-on. Plus, the DN3D graphics format for the sky is 128w*400h, so I had to cut 160 off the bottom to get the desired size of 512*240. Still, everything worked out fine in the end.

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/image/planetary/moon/clem_full_moon_strtrk.jpg

That's just a quickie I found. There should be others. You can use these picture for free.

Start at www.nasa.gov

Guest fragg

Besides Deepteam's help --- u might want to try this.
A treasure trove of both Hubble photos, and artist's conceptions of lunarscapes/stormswept planets etc.
One in particular might interest you (Triton surrounded by black sky/stars, hovering real close over a barren landscape).
Go to:
www.space.com/entertainment/downloads/spaceart/
Scroll down to "Joe Bergeron's Space Art".
Click on it, new scrn appears, select (maybe 1024x768) and click.
Triton'll open full-scrn. If u like it, r-click to download it as wallpaper.
Obviously, you know how to hack it into something useful to you (if it can be done).
There's tons of photos, portraits, scattered around space.com.
fragg

Thanks to Fragg & Jack for the feedback. I checked out those sites, and they're quite amazing.

I should have clarified. I was looking for the moonscape graphic for some new ZDooM levels I'm thinking of doing. As such, the pic needed to be preferably in bitmap format, would "tile", could be scaled to 256*240, 512*240, or 1024*240 size. Ideally, it would also be in the DooM palette :)

I was hoping that someone who had used or seen a moonscape in a DooM level would be able to point me to the level. As it turned out, the DN3D lunar landscape was almost perfect -- bmp format, tiled, 512*400. All I had to do was crop the bottom to make it 512*240, and copy it into a blank image with the DooM palette. It looks sweet (I've tried it on DooM2 Map12, which is an outdoor open level)!

Guest fragg

Sorry it was not what u needed. Glad u found something.
BTW, have you any familiarity with PRBOOM? See my new post to Wildman. I need all info I can get. Thanks.
fragg

deepteam said:

http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/image/planetary/moon/clem_full_moon_strtrk.jpg

That's just a quickie I found. There should be others. You can use these picture for free.

Start at www.nasa.gov

Hmmm. It looks a bit....uhmmm....square...