Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Beuja

Lowering Stairs

Guest Beuja

I've been searching around for info on making a staircase lower.
I want the staircase to sink down to a previously hidden door.

Does anyone know of a wad that has a good example?

Thanks...

Attach each 'step' to dummy sectors, outside your level. In 'the void', as it were.

The idea, is that you have as many dummy sectors as steps, and the dummy sectors all have the floor heights at which you want the steps to be. Now tag all of the steps (The real steps) to switch that will 'lower sector to next-lower floor'.

That's how I'd do it. Upon reading this, it may not be a good explanation. I could do an example wad and send it to you if you like.

Guest Beuja

Your explanation was good enough.
It seemed such a waste to have those dummy sectors in 'the void' so I linked them up as part of the map as an extra set of stairs. ;)

Beuja said:

Your explanation was good enough.

I've been at this editing stuff little over six months now.

Not doing bad for a newbie, huh?

If you are doing a level that is port specific, some ports actually have a stair lower lindef type. I know Zdoom does, but I think Boom had it first which is presumably why Zdoom (which has Boom compatability) has also. I guess any port with proper Boom support should have this feature. From what I remember, it works in a very similar way to build up stairs. Ie all the stairs start at the top height and they drop in turn by either 8 or 16 until they reach the lower floor, and you have to set up a sector to be each step. I remember it being fairly easy to set up in Zdoom, but can't comment on other ports. It would mean not having to make a series of dummy sectors, which is a cunning way to make it work with all versions of Doom.