Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest D|RE

WadEd

Guest D|RE

Does anyone know if the Author of Waded still supports it? I have a shareware version of WadEd and i sent my 5 bux to him 2 months ago and i have yet to get a responce? HELP i need my waded unlocked :/

I guess not, which is a shame. It's not the best editor around, but it's certainly my favourite... if you can understand what I mean...

WOULD be the best if 80% of the things you tried to do didn't give you errors. Right?

Heh, yeah. You just gotta learn to edit 'around' these errors. I do this by habit now, anyway.

Yes, I can work around them rather easily. I especially hate checking all the squarish areas you make, like, when you do 3D bars or something, there's always a 1-in-3 chance it's doubled the vertices of the start/end corner and added a 0-length line. The magic of WadEd; gotta love it.

That's not one I'm familiar with. Mind, I use v1.71, which is IMO much more reliable than 1.83 - the only real problem is creating a sector with several daughter sectors - this has to be done by hand, WadEd doesn't do it correctly.

Oh. That must be a later bug then. Basically, when you draw those 8-by-8 or 64-by-64 square units (or any other variation for that matter), the vertex where you began and ended will sometimes end up with a 0-length line and extra vertex. Sometimes it gets annoying checking all those if you've made a lot. It tends to happen with the smaller pillars too, like if you're making a jail cell or something. It's not so bad when you're doing 45-degree angles though. Usually I know better than to let WadEd try to "make" a sector, but sector define only adds what you define to whatever is the current selection in "sectors" mode, so you have to make dummies if you're gonna do that (which I hate). What's the most annoying is when you have to define those sectors manually, and you can't pick certain lines because they're on weird angles.

I think I'm going to devote a webpage to WadEd's bugs.

Yeah, I hate that with wierd angled lines. Usually either zooming in or just 'shuffling' the mouse by a pixel each time, whilst clicking helps. No guarantee.

A webpage about WadEd's bugs? LOL.
But seriously, this kinda thing could go on the (my) UAC page, as I beleive WadEd is a great editor once you've climbed the learning curve and learned ways around the bugs. This may help people 'climb' this learning curve quicker.

Well, I could *easily* catalogue v1.71's bugs. Heh heh.
AND the workarounds.

I sure would like to see it updated to work with windows, with support for new textures and flats etc. but the guy seems to have stopped working on WadEd after Quake came out.

WadEd CAN use custom textures and flats. All it means is copying your IWAD, then merging the custom texture/flat WAD into the copy, and directing WadEd to it as the main WAD.

Easy when you know how. ^_^

There is a limit on flats. It gives you nasty errors if you have more than a certain amount. Something in the 50-100 range. I used to have separate IWADs to work around this but now I just do the custom texturing in Deep or WadAuthor.

Jayextee said:

WadEd CAN use custom textures and flats. All it means is copying your IWAD, then merging the custom texture/flat WAD into the copy, and directing WadEd to it as the main WAD.

Easy when you know how. ^_^

Does this work with new texture and flat names too? I wouldn't want to replace any existing doom textures.

Yes, it loads any new names. But walls that are 512 and above in length crash the texture viewer, and there is that floors limit. I would guess it's 100. Also, you may have noticed some missing flats from their texture list. I think it ignores the last flat in every flats list. I had to use dummy flats to get it to load all the right flats.