Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest GreenMarine

WAD editor recommendation?

Recommended Posts

Guest GreenMarine

Just a general poll asking what freeware WAD editors you'd recommend. Or would I be better off buying a shareware/commercial one, and if so what would be a recommendation on that?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Guest Stealthy Ivan

Go with DeepSea or Waded!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Guest GreenMarine

So it'd be worth shelling out the $ for a commercial editor then, rather than waste my time with the freeware ones?

Share this post


Link to post
Guest JeffM24

i've only been editing for a little bit & i'm not very good yet... but i recommend DeePsea! it has a lot of features and isn't too hard to learn.

Share this post


Link to post

Hiya.

DeepSea is a very good choice. Another one is WadAuthor. Personally, I like the look of WadAuthor more, but DeepSea has a *ton* of tools built in that you can use. It's worth the cash if you really enjoy making DOOM levels.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest Captain Napalm

Get DCK and the BSP node builder.
DCK may be Dos only but the shareware version isn´t as restrictive as DEEPSEA and it´s easier to use.
It´s also much better in my opinion since it´s more sector, i.e. you can draw sectors and they are easier to merge and edit.
For editing sounds and stuff get Wintex.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest fragg
JeffM24 said:

i've only been editing for a little bit & i'm not very good yet... but i recommend DeePsea! it has a lot of features and isn't too hard to learn.

Jeff,I heard Deepsea is so tuff "you need college degree". No?
So I never even tried it (after a couple guys said that).
Here you are a newby (like me) and your having no great trouble using it?
fragg

Share this post


Link to post
Guest GreenMarine
pming said:

Hiya.

DeepSea is a very good choice. Another one is WadAuthor. Personally, I like the look of WadAuthor more, but DeepSea has a *ton* of tools built in that you can use. It's worth the cash if you really enjoy making DOOM levels.

I Tried WadAuthor for a hour or so. Unfortunately that's all the time I was able to use it for as the next time I ran it again some days later apparently the license ran out on it and it wouldn't run. So I chucked it. Too bad, it did look nice...

I'll check out Deepsea next- maybe it'll give me more time to try it out...

Share this post


Link to post
fragg said:

Jeff,I heard Deepsea is so tuff "you need college degree". No?
So I never even tried it (after a couple guys said that).
Here you are a newby (like me) and your having no great trouble using it?
fragg

For a "newbie", the hard part of "DooM" editing is really not the editor but learning all the new terms (LineDef, Sector, etc).

Once you learn that, it becomes a question of flexibility. I suppose an editor that can do fewer things is easier to learn simply because there are fewer things to learn:))

Many just stick to the basic and don't bother with learning how to modify textures, sprites, sounds, scripting, etc.

In the basics, most editor are comparable. About the only one that is extremely difficult for beginners are the DEU clones that don't exactly work in a natural manner (DETH, ZETH and some others)<g>

If someone says that DeePsea requires a "college" degree, I suspect they never really attempted to create a level. There are kids from 10 years old on up to past 70 that used DeePsea. They put out the effort to learn, as it requires with any program, not just Doom editing.

(and my typing sux)

Share this post


Link to post
Guest GreenMarine

I've downloaded Deepsea and I'm rather impressed with the features it has! But you're right- for now I'm only wanting a basic editor. Once I get to the point where I can belt out a custom level pretty quickly is when I'll start wanting something with more flexibility (and I'm not saying that Deepsea doesn't have this- I haven't gotten far enough into it to say either way, nor can I currently imagine just what I would want for advanced editing capabilities)

As for learning the terms, I agree- that'll probably be the hardest part of the learning curve. That, and in how they interact with each other. I've found some well-written editing tutorials here on the site that I think will help out with that.

David

Share this post


Link to post
GreenMarine said:

I Tried WadAuthor for a hour or so. Unfortunately that's all the time I was able to use it for as the next time I ran it again some days later apparently the license ran out on it and it wouldn't run. So I chucked it. Too bad, it did look nice...

I'll check out Deepsea next- maybe it'll give me more time to try it out...

Strictly speaking, the license file should give you a full 15 days to evaluate WadAuthor. If it did not, for some reason, you can always uninstall/reinstall the program.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest zyvgjc

I suggest getting a Windows editor such as DeepSea or WadAuthor since DOS editors have a limit on the size of the levels you can build.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest GreenMarine
Phileosophos said:

Strictly speaking, the license file should give you a full 15 days to evaluate WadAuthor. If it did not, for some reason, you can always uninstall/reinstall the program.

Ah, ok- I'll try reinstalling it again then and give it another shot. Most demos I've tried won't allow you to reinstall them after they expire. Or rather, they've set the registry so that a reinstall will know that it's been installed over a expired copy.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest fragg
deepteam said:

For a "newbie", the hard part of "DooM" editing is really not the editor but learning all the new terms (LineDef, Sector, etc).

Once you learn that, it becomes a question of flexibility. I suppose an editor that can do fewer things is easier to learn simply because there are fewer things to learn:))

Many just stick to the basic and don't bother with learning how to modify textures, sprites, sounds, scripting, etc.

In the basics, most editor are comparable. About the only one that is extremely difficult for beginners are the DEU clones that don't exactly work in a natural manner (DETH, ZETH and some others)<g>

If someone says that DeePsea requires a "college" degree, I suspect they never really attempted to create a level. There are kids from 10 years old on up to past 70 that used DeePsea. They put out the effort to learn, as it requires with any program, not just Doom editing.

(and my typing sux)

Deepteam, thanx for first decent explanation (I've come across) re. Deepsea's "learning curve".
When I've learned map-making, I'll prolly wind up with two editors. It looks like Deep will be one. Thanx again.
fragg

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
×