Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Maethius

Great, another newbie....

Guest Maethius

Just starting into WAD editiing and trying to start small, replacing sounds being my first go, and moving up to textures from there. Since I'm more of point-and-click 3D illustrator type, DOS based editing is Greek to me. I downloaded Wintex 4.4 and, though it lets me identify the sounds nicely, I can't seem to pop in my replacements.

Seems like this should be a simple matter, so I'll let the pros let me know what to do. (sigh, someone should make a modern, Win 2000 drag and drop interface that lets you hit a button!)

Thanks!

Guest Captain Napalm

Welcome to the world of wad editing!
Wintex will be your best friend during this time.
To replace sounds, simply click on the sound you want to replace (like DSPISTOL) and choose Edit/Load entry from File.
Then simply point Wintex to the wav which will replace the existing one. (NOTE: Never directly edit your MAIN IWAD always make a backup)
You can also choose a sound and click on Edit/Save Entry to File
It will then save the entry to wav format in your directory of choice.
The same goes for Sprites and Music, but remember if you wish to replace only a few sprites and not all of them, you have to use an Echanced Doom port (I recommend Boom myself).
Have fun, and try level editing. :)

Guest Corsair

ah, welcome, Maethius, to the wonderful world of Doom Editing!
:-)

it's always good to see a new face in the community, I'm happy that you're still so........corruptable... :-)

no, all joking aside, we're always in need of new ideas and new people.

the best utilities (i.e. what I use) would be WinTex (a GOOD .Wad editor), Deu and Deu2 (level editors for Doom1 and 2, respectively), and Paint Shop Pro 7 (for graphics modification, etc. get it at www.jasc.com).

For the source port or what you're making mods for, I would suggest EDGE (edge.sourceforge.net) or ZDoom (www.doomworld.com)

EDGE is easier to use, I had a large mod going but I ran out of steam. ICQ\AIM\E-Mail me if you'd like to see what I've done with it.

EDGE is the easiest to use because you can read the .ddf (data definition files) as you can normal english. (They seem to have been designed for laymen or n00bies but still keep a wide range of options open)

I'm not sure if ZDoom is as easy to edit, but it has some intresting level editing options (slopes, cameras, etc) and it just LOOKS better. the man who made ZDoom seems to be working off a quake thingie, as it bears many similarities to Quake 1.

Plus, ZDoom has music and EDGE 1.24 doesn't :-)

btw, sirgalahadwizard, I haven't forgotten you man, and I need some creative\motivational help!!! :-)

I would type more, but I'm in class at school and I gtg
later all!
welcome to the editing community Maethius
-- Corsair

AIM: Corsair1009
E-Mail: adventkid@yahoo.com

Check out this page, by one of my best friends, Josh McConnell:
http://207.246.75.55/
(his IP)

Guest Corsair

it's always good to see a new face in the community, I'm happy that you're still so........corruptable... :-)

the best utilities (i.e. what I use) would be WinTex (a GOOD .Wad editor), Deu and Deu2 (level editors for Doom1 and 2, respectively), and Paint Shop Pro 7 (for graphics modification, etc. get it at www.jasc.com).

For the source port or what you're making mods for, I would suggest EDGE (edge.sourceforge.net) or ZDoom (www.doomworld.com)

EDGE is easier to use, I had a large mod going but I ran out of steam. ICQ\AIM\E-Mail me if you'd like to see what I've done with it.

EDGE is the easiest to use because you can read the .ddf (data definition files) as you can normal english. (They seem to have been designed for laymen or n00bies but still keep a wide range of options open)

I'm not sure if ZDoom is as easy to edit, but it has some intresting level editing options (slopes, cameras, etc) and it just LOOKS better. the man who made ZDoom seems to be working off a quake thingie, as it bears many similarities to Quake 1.

btw, sirgalahadwizard, I haven't forgotten you man, and I need some creative\motivational help!!! :-)

later all!
-- Corsair

(his IP)

Guest Corsair

later all!
-- Corsair

(his IP)

Guest Maethius
Captain Napalm said:

Welcome to the world of wad editing!
Wintex will be your best friend during this time.
To replace sounds, simply click on the sound you want to replace (like DSPISTOL) and choose Edit/Load entry from File.
Then simply point Wintex to the wav which will replace the existing one. (NOTE: Never directly edit your MAIN IWAD always make a backup)
You can also choose a sound and click on Edit/Save Entry to File
It will then save the entry to wav format in your directory of choice.
The same goes for Sprites and Music, but remember if you wish to replace only a few sprites and not all of them, you have to use an Echanced Doom port (I recommend Boom myself).
Have fun, and try level editing. :)

Sorry I didn't respond sooner... it wouldn't let me (line was glitchy). Thanks for the advice, I can see how it could be addictive, but I figure, start small and work up!