Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
esco

how do you use 16-bit sprites in a doom wad?

Yo, yo, wuzzup! Thanks for the help on mah last question ya'll. Believe it or not I knew how to do it but because wintex kept screwin up (it's a phat program, but buggy) I thought I was doin it wrong. Anyways yo, I have two questions...

1)which source ports allow 16-bit graphics (I hate the doom2 palette limitation) without having to use 3d models and

2)how can I put 16-bit graphics into a wad without that damn color palette screwin up da way they look. What editor would I have to use for this?
I hope ya'll peeps can hook me up wit some help...thanks and peace out.

First find an engine that supports 16 bit color:)

You can use DeePsea to insert a 16 bit BMP into a PWAD, by using the direct F7 "insert lump into PWAD". If you use the Import tool, it will automatically convert the BMP to DOOM format - which is 8 bit color. The color conversion is a bit better than Wintex:)

However, since "sprites" have a -transparent- area around them, you need to convert to 8 bit first and then tell DeePsea what color is to be considered transparent. See the help.

ya see kid, that's da problem. I DON'T want the graphics toned down to 8-bit. I wants to be able to use graphics with colors that are not in the colormap. But then that would present a problem...becuase if you use 16-bit color there is a range of 0-256 for red, green, and blue. By mixing these number ranges ya gets different colors. If someone programmed it, ya could say that since there are 16 levels of light in doom (16 palettes for dimming light), each level that got darker would bring each number range down by 16, eventually becoming pitch black so nothing can be seen. However, I don't think such a source exists. I thought of programming it myself, but the part of the sopurce that says how colors work looks too complex for me to undastand. If no one undastands what I mean please let me know, so I can gets ta postin a more detailed explanation. Later, ya'll!

Your question is really what port supports 16 bit color and the answer is none (as you appear to know).

ALL of the DOOM code has to go to 16 bit color, plus the code for "transparency" has to bite the bullet too. Finally, then the old 8 bits could be mapped into the superset - if you follow what I mean. So it's quite possible to change the code to allow for this.

I also explained how to import a 16 bit color BMP just in case there's one lurking out there:)

Yo, thanks a lot for da help. Maybe I should try and program a 16-bit doom source port. One things I can tell ya though is that it sure as heck wouldn't be easy.