Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ReX

Question on oversize textures

I have a 320w*200h patch that I inserted into a wad, and created a 320w*200h texture with the single patch. I used DeePSea to write the texture and pnames lumps into my wad, and at first everything looks fine. I open up my editor, and the texture is available exactly as it's supposed to. However, when I insert the texture onto a 320w sidedef and run the game, I see that the texture image cuts off at 256 and begins repeating at that point. So, essentially I only have 256 of the 320 wide texture available for use.

I remember reading about DooM having problems handling extra wide patches. So what I did was split the single 320 wide patch into 2*160 wide patches and re-inserted them. Same problem.

Any suggestions?

That's a complaint I've had for a loooong time. The "doom" code has to be changed. ZDOOMGL does a better job. BOOM is also better than ZDOOM. I was testing height last year - don't know about "now". That varies from 128 to 256 depending on the port.

Fix is fairly simple. Since stock doom did a wrap at 128 and 256 for most stuff, if there is something "bigger", use the whole thing for pete's sake. I want to use textures 508 tall for awesome sidewall displays, so a 508x508 would be awesome - like a movie<g>

I really wish the port guys would spend some time on making the textures more flexible. The 2nd "fix" I'd like to see implemented is better closeup detail. One way is again to use a "difference" coding concept. For example, when a BMP is used for a texture/sprite, use the full resolution and shrink to fit (not blow up) and get rid of the close blocking.

If only I had more time:)

deepteam said:

Fix is fairly simple. Since stock doom did a wrap at 128 and 256 for most stuff, if there is something "bigger", use the whole thing for pete's sake.

I'm not sure I understood your fix. You suggested using the "whole thing", which I thought I was doing in the first place. (Or perhaps you meant that the fix was simple to incorporate into a source port.) Does this mean I'm stuck with a maximum width of 256 (meaning I'll have to crop the picture)?

Thanks for your response anyway.

Yeah, I meant the Doom source code has to be "fixed". I was showing my frustration that little to -no- attention has been paid to this area (and sometimes it goes backwards). It's NOT that hard.

A lot of things would be much cooler (or hotter).

So yes, you are stuck with it for now:)