Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lüt

Suggestion for WadAuthor!

This is an important one (to me) that I've wanted for years and years. The ability to add a certain amount of pixels to various sector's floor and ceiling heights. I know you can set multiple floors and ceilings to the same heights, but this is different. Let me give an example:

I have two wads that I decide to cut+paste together. I'm going to connect them via a few hallways. But here's the problem: the first level I built has it's floors starting at 0 in the start room, and where I'm pasting it to, I need the floors to be -256. Now what I have to do to make this work, is change every single floor and ceiling height in the map I'm pasting from. What I would like is a feature to add or subtract X amount of pixels from all selected sector's ceiling and/or floor heights. That way, I could select the entire section I pasted, subtract 256 from every floor and ceiling height in it, and have it be the exact same thing as before, just 256 pixels lower so it can work with the map I've pasted it into.

Heh: 1,100+ posts and that's the 4th or 5th topic I've actually started :P

That is a good idea. For now you need to connect them with a staircase, lift, or teleporter. Another suggestion:

Use the DeMapEd drawing feature to draw sectors very fast and link them together without having to click and type in some settings of the sectors and so on. I have a joystick that only works with windows so I can't easilly test my wad.

Try this: select all sectors in the first level. Enter --256 in the ceiling and floor fields of the sector properties dialog box.
Presto. That feature has been present in WA since day one. :)

I'm surprised deepteam hasn't posted yet, but Deep can do this.

DETH might be able to too, I can't remember.

stphrz said:

Try this: select all sectors in the first level. Enter --256 in the ceiling and floor fields of the sector properties dialog box.
Presto. That feature has been present in WA since day one. :)

I shoulda known.

I am so sorry to hear you've wanted this for years and years, as WadAuthor has had it since the very first release. I simply *must* find some way of drawing attention to such things. At any rate, you can prefix values in the sector floor/height fields with a double + or - to indicate that you want to change all the corresponding fields by the specified amount. So for example, selecting a bunch of sectors and entering ++256 in the ceiling height field would increment all the ceiling heights by 256 units.

Interestingly enough, you may also enter a triple + or - to set the values based upon a relevant reference; in the case of floor/ceiling values, the other is used. For example, let's say you've done a bunch of work on some sectors and decide later you want to make sure that all of the ceilings are precisely 128 units above the floors. You can do this by entering +++128 into the ceiling height field.

I needed to do both of these things in making wad files, and that's why what I call "relative change controls" have been built into WadAuthor from the very beginning. Enjoy!

Linguica said:

I'm surprised deepteam hasn't posted yet, but Deep can do this.

DETH might be able to too, I can't remember.

DeeP (DOS) has the keyboard shortcut to change all "relative" heights at once (floor or ceiling or both). In addition, DeePsea (Windows) also has the ++ stuff. I don't think Deth ever added that feature?

But he was asking about WadAuthor - knew somebody would jump on that:) It's been interesting reading the posts suggesting "improvements" that have been in DeeP/DeePsea for a long time. Before you know it, it's going to take a degree to also run WadAuthor - lol.

It's nice to see that the "not reading the help" is a universal problem and not just my poor writing<g>

Phileosophos said:

Ok. Here's a feature I would like. I know WA does *not* do this. I'm a WA expert :) I hope I can explain this properly.

Would it be possible to have WA automatically update sector and linedef tag numbers on copy and pasted map data? As it stands now, WA maintains such tags even if the map you are pasting to already has those tag numbers assigned to other linedefs and sectors. As you can imagine, this can cause some strange things to happen if you are less than completely meticulous about manually reassigning new tag numbers to the recently pasted map data.

That's a good suggestion, and frankly I'm surprised I overlooked it. WadAuthor has to jump through a fair number of hoops to fix up textures and other stuff. I'll add it to my list of things to look at.

deepteam said:

Before you know it, it's going to take a degree to also run WadAuthor - lol.

Well, heh... As you may have guessed, I haven't figured it out either :P I've managed to figure out it's Cut+Paste and Join Vertices and that's about it.

Not sure what you meant. It looks like you are still asking how to change the heights? Sometimes, we take things for granted and don't realize that the explanation is not exactly clear either.

If you could please clarify what you meant, I (or someone else) can do a better job of showing how to do change all the heights to match the other area.

Or if I just totally misunderstood, tell me that too:)

Nah, I just meant the editor in general. All I know how to is cut+paste with it. I'm too scared to try anything else. My situation usually goes "Uh oh, I placed an object... RELOAD!"

Guest kristus

Deth can do it. DCK can do it but it fucks up the linedefs properties so don't use it.