Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

GreenWar.wad

So as many of you well know, this 32 map megawad has been released. I'd love to hear your feedback, good and bad, particularly which levels you found the least enjoyable. Thanks. Negative feedback is just as good as positive.

click the link below this post to dl the wad if you haven't already.

We'll try to make this the official thread for me wad rather than the one in general forums.

some really recommended maps:
map05 - best ffa map evar.
map04 - sweet duel map, very balanced weapons.

this is the list of the maps I found the least enjoyable (they didn't make it onto my recommended list) It may also be because we flew past them very fast (fraglimit 10), I'll update the list when I've had a chance to play the maps more:

All the other maps were a blast!

As always, thanks for the feedback, Erik. I think at least a few of those you listed as not too fun you'll discover to be fun in time ;).

played and rated the first 11 maps. Separete scores for ffa and duels.
score is 1-10 with 10 being the best.

just realized that this table will probably look shit, oh well :P

map duel ffa(4 player)
01 8 7
02 7 6
03 5 7
04 8 3
05 4 9
06 5 4
07 5 8
08 5 7
09 4 9
10 7 5
11 8 9

well, I hope we can playtest it again tonight. But very cool wad, hellbent, most of the levels is very good. Keep up the good work... :D

I am just pasting the txt with test results from our session here (each map played in a 4 player game with fraglimit 25)

edit: slight error in the top map picks table, map 23 should belong to the ffa column.

Greenwar.wad map ratings by Erik[w3], TorntheDark, Matt[TiK], [999cop]

This txt contains our opinion on the greenwar.wad DM megawad by Hellbent.
Each map has two scores, one for duel gameplay and one for ffa gameplay. We have
generally not considered aesthetics when we set the scores, only gameplay.
The testing was done on zdaemon with ~4players skill 5, old dm.

top map picks:
duel ffa
01 05
04 09
11 11
12 14
13 07
29 13
32 22

map ratings (1-10, where 10 is the highest possible score)
map duel ffa
01 8 7
02 7 6
03 5 7
04 8 3
05 4 9
06 5 4
07 5 8
08 5 7
09 4 9
10 7 5
11 8 9
12 8 6
13 8 8
14 4 9
15 5 4
16 8 5
17 5 5
18 7 3
19 7 5
20 6 7
21 6 6
22 6 8
23 6 8
24 7 4
25 7 4
26 6 4
27 6 7
28 7 7
29 8 7
30 6 7
31 7 7
32 8 7

Wow, thanks Erik, TorntheDark and 999cop.

Interesting results. Slightly surprising. It's interesting to note I never playtested map17. If I had, I wouldn't have included it. But I was pretty confident it would play well. Oh well. That Map11 got the best overall score is really surprising to me. It looks good, sure, but I didn't think it was the best playing map.

Map26 with bots was a lot of fun. I'm surprised it didn't have a better score. I hadn't really tested this wad either, tho.

I had tested Map32 but never got a good game going in it. I thought it looked like it would play well, and I'm glad you guys found this one good. I was a bit afraid it was gonna be a flop.

Now, map 15 never did play well, and it was always a surprise to me. I did some tweaking to it - played with bots - figured it would be better, but appears not. I think it just might be a problem of too big.

Map06 was another surprise. Lotta people that have played this liked this. Greensting put it on his site of "Must have DM wads" (although he seems pretty liberal with the inclusion of wads on his site)

So how do some classics rate, then? Map01, Dwango5-map01 and I'm not sure what others are considered classics.

Thanks a lot for the thorough breakdown!

Ok, thanks guys.

It might be interesting to rate my megawad again in 1 or 2 months time, as a longevity rating for each map. Just a thought since you've already rated em once :P

Thanks again.

yeah these scores are very preliminary as we only played to a total of 35 frags on each map. It was mainly done to get a good map cycling for the zdaemon servers.

Doom II Guy said:

Hey what map is that picture from? It looks pretty awesome.

Yep, like hellbent said, it's gw map11!
that looks a bit like the images from half-life showed off in the other thread in general, eh? :D

speaking of ratings, i'd like to share something with you guys, go to http://planetquake.com/lvl and you'd see something like this. It's a level review site where you are allowed to judge and score on every release of custom maps. It'd be great to have things like that in somewhere in the community. I'm about to learn to use that kinda code called .asp to run a site where also hosts such features for Doom maps. Nightfang has already given me permission and offered me space for hosting a site for this use. Stay tuned and hopefully I'll be successful soon

Erik said:

ratings by Erik[w3], TorntheDark, Matt[TiK], [999cop]

Hellbent said:

Wow, thanks Erik, TorntheDark and 999cop.

You're welcome :(

Hellbent said:

So how do some classics rate, then? Map01, Dwango5-map01

I don't like them. In fact, I hate them.
Doom2.wad map01 - 3/4
Dwango5.wad map01 - 4/5
(1on1/ffa)

Map11 is both funny in 1on1 (played it with erik, spude and 999cop yesterday, heh) and also in FFA, just one word: plasma war... I really like this map. Well, map01 in greenwar.wad is also good for 1on1 fights, but i miss a chaingun. But it is not a problem., alot of ssg fights on this one.

Oh, shit! Sorry MaTT. I'm either stupid blind or, apparently, both. I honestly didn't notice I had missed a name.

/me runs off in a corner and hides. :[

I don't like them. In fact, I hate them.
Doom2.wad map01 - 3/4
Dwango5.wad map01 - 4/5
(1on1/ffa)

My verdict:

doom2.wad map01 - 10000000000 / 5
dwango5.wad map01 - 8 / 7

Or something like that.

N.C.

Hellbent said:

Oh, shit! Sorry MaTT. I'm either stupid blind or, apparently, both. I honestly didn't notice I had missed a name.

/me runs off in a corner and hides. :[

Oh ok, sorry mate :) I take that back, in fact I've deleted it. I'm sure you're not stupid or blind, heh.

The sad thing is none of us mappers can match it.

Do you think the block sound linedefs in MAP01 were intended for sinlge player or Deathmatch when the map was designed?

Hellbent said:

Do you think the block sound linedefs in MAP01 were intended for sinlge player or Deathmatch when the map was designed?

I think both.

block sound lines doesn't work in multi. Instead the sounds cannot be heard if they are 1200 units or more away. (this was changed to 2025 units in zdoom for reasons that are beyond me.)

Fodders, I know you are a map01 afficianado (I remember some post you made about it long time ago) Because of what Erik said about the block sound lines, do you DM in map01 using DOOM2.exe instead of zdoom or zdaemon? Anyone can answer this question, naturally.

I woulnd't know how to implement block sound lines in a dm map.

Anyone ever do this when making dm maps?

block sounds lines doesn't work at all in DM. And yes, I prefer to play map01 in doom2.exe if pings are decent.