Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bobo

I NEED MAJOR HELP!

Ok Doom guys, i need some help here:

How do you reduce the size of your wad? i've deleted unused sectors and linedefs and sidedefs, but the damn thing is still big.

The weirdest thing is, is that it isnt that architectually big. I've seen levels waaayyy bigger than this in Doom but for some reason whenever i edit it in a wad editor it always crashes and tells me that it cant alocate enough bytes. What do i do? Oh for the love of God, what do i do!

Looks like your wad has some wasted space...
Try opening your wad in Wintex (which you can download here at Doomworld) and go to 'file,' then choose 'clean up WAD.' Maybe that'll help somewhat.
But then, that's my way of doing it. Maybe someone else has a better idea...?

Toss it into my email if you like.(zip it up first though)

I'll take a look see at it.

Zeratul 982 said:

Looks like your wad has some wasted space...
Try opening your wad in Wintex (which you can download here at Doomworld) and go to 'file,' then choose 'clean up WAD.' Maybe that'll help somewhat.
But then, that's my way of doing it. Maybe someone else has a better idea...?

Also get your hands on Cleanwad. Damn good little program that.

Is the problem the level or the editor/memory you have? You don't mention either one. In a DOS DMPI or Windows environment, size is not an issue for an editor.

If the level got "damaged", then I can see some odd errors popping up though. Waded, in particular can roast a level when conventional memory is exceeded.

You can reduce the size of a level by "packing" sidedefs (all sidedefs that are the same become 1), sharing sectors (same idea) and using newer node builders.

Blockmaps should not be looked at by your editor - but it does affect the size. Usually caused by a dimensionally large level (10kx10k). DeePBSP, for example, makes for a much smaller blockmap. I think most of the latest versions of BSP do the same thing.

If you have wasted space in the level, that again should not make any difference to an editor. Most newer editors automatically "clean" a level when you save it - no need for Wintex, etc.