Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lazer

Putting together a setup/install.exe...

I'm coming out with my first beta realease of Underworld and everything seems good so far... I have:

underworld.wad (underwor.wad) - the levels
undermus.wad - my music
undergraphics.wad (undergra.wad) - sprites, textures, etc...
underworld.deh (underwor.deh) - My DeHackED patch.

Now, how do I create a setup/install.exe that runs DeHackEd (it will be inluded in the zip) to apply the patch to their copy of Doom 2 (v1.9)? Then I want to know how to create an autorun.exe that gives the command of:

Doom2 -file then the other files?

Thanks...

BTW, am I able to make the same procedure work on any ports? I don't use any, but I have tried ZDoom and I am thinking about trying Boom, or maybe JDoom. (I've heard good reviews about both of them)

Heh, sounds like you are a glutton for punishment! Setting up an install routine for patching doom2.exe is not trivial but can be done with programs available to you. I think you need both dehacked.exe and deusf.exe. Then, a DOS batch file will do the complete job. I know of one example you can follow. I have the file osiris.zip, about 2 mb, and it contains everything. You would edit their batch file accordingly, and their batch file is a masterful piece of work (as is Osiris). I'll email the file to you if you want, or get it from cdrom.com when their archives come back up.

The easier route - just ask people to play with zdoom or equivalent...why would anyone want to use doom2.exe with its low resolution graphics? Your batch file for zdoom would be very simple:

zdoom -file underwor.wad undermus.wad undergra.wad -deh underwor.deh

Name the file yourname.bat.

I guess your right... But it wasn't designed with jumping mind... I have osiris as well. I'll try to put together a batch file with what I have.
Thanks.

If you want to force people not to be able to jump in zdoom, you can include a mapinfo lump that has nojump in it. Don't remember if it has to be specified for every level or if the command is more global.

Ok I put together a bat file and it loads everything up perfectly. Since I can't include the original exe I need to know how to make a setup exe that takes there copy of Doom and applies the patch to it. Next I'll make a bat file that loads in the deh as well so it will be compatible with Zdoom also. Back to work.

EDIT: THANKS! I finally have a install.bat! Go to the Doom Down Under website to get it:
http://www.devin-afshin.com/DDU/DDUMain.htm

wintex 4.3 has an option fer making an installer that also patches the original doom.exe rite? i forgot...