Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lazer

Inviso platforms?

After recently finding the "Editing Tutorials" I found out that DMapEdit is a good editor to use for technical things. Luckilly that is the editor I have used for years. Now, my question is:
How do I make inviso platforms without getting errors and HOM? I've seen it done and I have to resort to cut and paste to get them (not whole bridges, just a little platform). And while on the subject of technical things, I've made the double bridge exactly how the "Editing Tutorials" say but I get HOM. Otherwise the bridge worked!

Try the UAC (up and coming) site. He has a good and simple explanation of how to build those bridges.
http://www.geocities.com/jayextee/info.htm

Sounds like you're not doing the sector reference right. A simple, no-nonsense invisible platform is created by setting the sector reference of the border linedefs on -BOTH- sides of those linedefs back to the would-be invisible sector. A player standing on one of those invisible platforms appears to be standing on air.

Invisible platforms are the basis for almost every 3D trick, including bridges. If you can't create an invisible platform, don't go off trying to create a 3D double bridge :)

Note that the "simple 3D bridge" described in the Editing Tutorials uses a different technique: it leaves out the lower -textures- of the would-be bridge sector. This is something totally different than a real 3D bridge which relies on those self-referring sectors.

Zigmund said:

Try the UAC (up and coming) site. He has a good and simple explanation of how to build those bridges.
http://www.geocities.com/jayextee/info.htm

Ok, I understand now. The bridge is almost perfect now!

If you are making a level for a BOOM compatible port, invisible platforms can be very simple, and you won't have to bother with changing side def sector references or anything. Just give the sector concerned a tag and use the boom transfer sector heights lindef type (242). If you use a line that is in the same sector as the one surrounding your platform as your type 242, the platform will be drawn as if its floor and ceiling are the height of the surrounding sector. You don't have to have any lines with missing texturs or anything to confuse your editor.

You can add textures to the lindefs around the platform to be your girders or whatever.

Using this method, things can be a little more complex if you want the sector to move, but usually this method wull give the desired effect in a nice simple way. Because all the drawing tricks are done with legitimate sectors, wall textures and so on, your editor won't flag it up if you error check the level.

Sorry if this isn't too readable, I have just started a migrane and can't really see the screen anymore :-(