Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest fragg

John Carmack honored by Industry

Guest fragg

Picked up this "Announcement" at a news site.
I then Posted it in "General" forum, so Doomers would know the good news.
And waited for the guys to pour in, comment on the guy who is a "living Legend to all Doomers".
Half-day later, it was "buried" under newer Threads(threads with titles like "Sign my site's Guestbook!!"..."Who uses Gameboy?").
Not one guy had responded. Not one Doomer had offered John a "Congrats".
And this site is "Doomworld"--#1 Doom site on Web.
Unbelievable. Absolutely unbelievable.
(OK, if I'm the only who'll do it)......

"Way to go, John!!!"
"From all of us here at Doomworld--Congratulations good buddy!!!"

23 March 2001 San Jose Calif.
JOHN CARMACK INDUCTED INTO AIAS "HALL-OF-FAME"
"ID's Legendary Programmer, Honored for Groundbreaking Graphics Engines --- Including DOOM, QUAKE and QUAKE3-Arena."

*** John Carmack, co-founder/co-owner/technical director of ID, was inducted into the "Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences" (AIAS) Hall of Fame Thursday night, honoring his pioneering contributions to interactive entertainment.

*** Carmack is best known for shaking the game world in 1992 with the original FPS, Wolfenstein 3D.
In 1994, DOOM further advanced the FPS and took the world by storm, leading players through an eerie and frightening journey to hell and back.

*** Carmack left the industry in awe, in 1996 when he created game industry's first true 3-D environment for QUAKE.
And he pushed the envelope of 3-D gaming again, in 1999 by building the most technically-advanced 3D engine ever-- powering the new QUAKE3-ARENA.

*** Carmack now joins AIAS "HALL-OF-FAME" legends....
Shigeru Miyamoto, Nintendo, creator of Legend of Zelda and Donkey Kong.
Sid Meier, creator of Civilization.
Hironobu Sakaguchi, creator of the Final Fantasy series.

*** At Thursday's ceremony, Hironobu Sakaguchi presented the HOF award to Carmack, and paid him warm tribute.
Also at ceremony, Adrian Carmack, ID co-founder spoke these words of praise....
"From Wolfenstein-3D to QUAKE3-Arena, John has forever changed the way the industry thinks about game technology....
"His induction in the AIAS Hall of Fame is a tribute to his hard work, dedication, and ingenuity....
"Everyone at ID offers their sincerest congratulations to John."

*** Carmack's breakthroughs are renowned throughout the computer gaming industry and the technology industry.
His graphics engines are widely considered the World's most technically astounding and visually beautiful.

*** His powerful engines are Industry "Benchmark" for comparing all new graphics cards (for speed/video-quality/features).
Every card Mfr prizes a 'Carmack-endorsement' of their card.

*** Games built on his engines have received "Game of Year" awards and his multiplayer and Internet gaming innovations have been honored several times over.
Carmack's QUAKE3-Arena engine won accolades from industry press as the "best graphics technology of the year" in 1999 and again in 2000.

*** In Feb 01, ID again made the game world stand still. At MacWorld Tokyo, Carmack unveiled a demo of work on new Doom -- created using his newest latest advanced-engine technology.

*** ID Software, Mesquite Texas -- one of the hottest game shops on Earth - has been rocking the gaming world since 1991.

Guest DIRE

John has definitly revolutionized the gaming industry. just think if he was never born, we may be still playing Platform games like Mario bros and games like pacman, just with better graphics. John doesnt need my thanks, the money he makes off the games he sells is more then thanks, but I do thank John. for bringing us some of the best games in Gaming history. Doom has forever changed the way i view video Games.

First off, JC is terrific - no doubt about that. However, what happened in gaming would have happened regardless.

Technology sort of hits a critical mass and then almost simultaneously, everybody and their uncle has the same idea.

Mario was on the short list - he just didn't know it<g>

John Carmack is the father of Id. It was him who keeps it together, and like you two said, if it weren't for him, we'd be playing a maybe slightly more graphically advanced, 8-bit Mario platform game. His email address was somewhere in an interview on DoomWorld's front page. Maybe we should email 'im?

(Yeah, I know, it's been over a month since anyone wrote this about..? But I'm a very big fan of Id!)